Daunt Books is a chain of bookshops in London, founded by James Daunt. It traditionally specialised in travel books. In 2010 it began publishing.
The Marylebone High Street branch is housed in a former Edwardian bookshop with long oak galleries, graceful skylights and William Morris prints. The older section of the Marlyebone shop was completed in 1912, and was originally an antiquarian bookshop called Francis Edwards. It is alleged to be the first custom build bookshop in the world. A large, walk-in safe is also visible near the entrance to the travel gallery, and is where expensive volumes were once stored. The shop was bought by former banker James Daunt and renamed Daunt Books in 1990, now focussed on first-hand titles (especially travel-related material).
Specialising in travel, Daunt Books arranges its sections geographically - with guides, phrase books, travel writing, history and fiction grouped by their relevant country. Reviews have mentioned its customer service and knowledgeable staff.
In 2010, Daunt Books launched a publishing venture with Saki's Improper Stories, and has since republished several other out-of-print and new books. It intends to publish literary fiction and non-fiction, including both forgotten titles and new works.
To date, Daunt Book's publishers have produced:
- The Matriarch by G.B. Stern (June, 2013) ISBN 9781907970283
- The Invention of Memory: An Irish Family Scrapbook by Simon Loftus (April, 2013) ISBN 9781907970146
- Cassandra (novel) by Christa Wolf (March, 2013) ISBN 9781907970115
- The Inland Sea (Short Story) by K.J. Orr (Nov, 2012) ISBN 97819070269
- A Dance of Folly and Pleasure (Short Story Collection) by O. Henry (Nov, 2012) ISBN 9781907970108
- The Architects by Stefan Heym (Sep, 2012) ISBN 9781907970092
- Calm at Sunset, Calm at Dawn by Paul Watkins (Jun, 2012) ISBN 9781907970085
- Illyrian Spring by Ann Bridge (May, 2012) ISBN 9781907970078
- Life With a Star by Jiri Weil (Apr, 2012) ISBN 978190970061
- Kalimantaan by C.S. Godshalk (Mar, 2012) ISBN 9781907970054
- American Drolleries (Short Story Collection) by Mark Twain (Nov, 2011) ISBN 9781907970047
- A Compass Error by Sybille Bedford (Sep, 2011) ISBN 978190790030
- Mendelssohn is on the Roof by Jiri Weil (Jun, 2011) ISBN 9781907970016
- A Favourite of the Gods by Sybille Bedford (Mar, 2011) ISBN 9781907970023
- Improper Stories (Short Story Collection) by Saki (Dec, 2010) ISBN 9781907970009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Daunt Books.|
|This article about a retailer in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|