Dave Aitel (born 1976) is a computer security professional. He joined the NSA as a research scientist aged 18 where he worked for six years before being employed as a consultant at @stake for three years. In 2002 he founded a security software company, Immunity, where he was the CTO up until December 31, 2020.
Aitel co-authored several books:
- The Hacker's Handbook: The Strategy Behind Breaking into and Defending Networks. ISBN 978-0-8493-0888-8
- The Shellcoder's Handbook. ISBN 978-0-7645-4468-2
- Beginning Python. ISBN 978-0-7645-9654-4
He is also well known for writing several security tools:
- SPIKE, a block-based fuzzer
- SPIKE Proxy, a man-in-the-middle web application assessment tool
- Unmask, a tool to do statistical analysis on text to determine authorship
Dave Aitel is an infrequent guest on the Fox News Channel where he provides commentary on information security news.
- ^ Canvassing all security cracks. Retrieved on April 16, 2008.
- ^ Aitel, Dave. 0days: How hacking really works. Retrieved on July 8, 2007.
- ^ Immunity company information Archived 2007-07-01 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on July 8, 2007.
- ^ ""Is it done yet? Boom! Typey Typey!" - Dailydave - mm4.emwd.com". lists.aitelfoundation.org. Retrieved 2021-01-01.
- ^ Aitel, Dave. "Cyber security: National security vs. personal freedom". Fox News. Retrieved 21 August 2012.