|Born||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.|
Dave Askren is an American jazz guitarist and educator.
Although Askren was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, he grew up in Raleigh, North Carolina, and Dayton, Ohio. He learned about jazz from friends whose interests went beyond rock and blues. Askren started on clarinet and saxophone, but switched to guitar when he was fourteen. In his early teens he belonged to professional bands that played rock, blues, and R&B at local venues. From 1976–1980, he attended Berklee College of Music in Boston and taught there during the 1980s. He also worked with Delfeayo Marsalis, Antonio Hart, Kevin Eubanks, Hendrik Muerkins , and Bob Moses.
In the 1990s, he moved to Los Angeles and was a sideman for pop acts such as La Toya Jackson and Marilyn McCoo. During his career, he has also worked with Jimmy Branly, Sal Cracciolo, Gary Foster, Linda Hopkins, Eddie Resto, Mike Vax, and Trio Nuevo.
- Re: Bill Evans (String Jazz, 2002)
- Rhubumba (Sea Breeze, 2004)
- Some Other Things (Sea Breeze, 2005)
- Trio Nuevo + (Daway, 2008)
- It's All About the Groove with Jeff Benedict (Daway, 2013)
- Among Friends with the Orion Saxophone Quartet (Tapestry, 2013)
- Come Together with Jeff Benedict (Tapestry, 2017)