December 14, 1978 |
|April 16, 2005, for the Minnesota Twins|
(through 2008 season)
|Earned run average||5.87|
David K. Gassner (born December 14, 1978 in Hortonville, Wisconsin) was a professional baseball pitcher. Gassner is a 1997 graduate of Hortonville High School in Hortonville, Wisconsin and 2002 graduate of Purdue University with a degree in Education.
On December 15, 2003, Gassner was sent to the Minnesota Twins to complete a trade made on July 16, 2003 where the Blue Jays sent Shannon Stewart and a player to be named later (Gassner) to the Twins for Bobby Kielty.
Gassner spent the entire 2004 season with the Rochester Red Wings of the International League. On April 16, 2005 made his major league debut for the Twins against the Cleveland Indians getting the win by pitching 6 innings giving up only one earned run. Gassner was to have only one more start for the Twins, spending most of the season with the Rochester Red Wings.
Gassner started the 2008 season playing for the York Revolution of the Atlantic League, but on June 6, 2008 he was signed to a minor league contract by the Boston Red Sox and assigned to the Double-A Portland Sea Dogs.
On June 7 Gassner made his first start for the Sea Dogs against the Akron Aeros earning a no decision after pitching 5 2⁄3 innings, allowing 6 hits and 2 earned runs. He became a free agent at the end of the season. Gassner signed with the York Revolution of the Atlantic League for the 2009 season. He retired on August 26, 2009.
Awards and recognition
- 2001 – Big Ten Conference All-Star SP
- 2003 – Eastern League (AA) All-Star and League ERA Leader.
- 2004 – Triple-A All-Star SP
- 2007 – International League Pitcher of the Week
After baseball life
In 2010, Gassner was named head coach of the Appleton West varsity baseball team in Appleton, Wisconsin. He is also a substitute teacher in the fields of science and mathematics for the Appleton Area School District.
- "Dave Gassner". MLB.com. Retrieved 2008-07-10.
- "Purdue University Baseball Players Who Played in the Major Leagues". Baseball-Almanac.com. Archived from the original on 2004-06-12. Retrieved 20 July 2012.
- "Dave Gassner". The Baseball Cube. Archived from the original on 2008-07-05. Retrieved 2008-07-10.
- "Dave Gassner". Baseball Reference. Retrieved 2008-07-10.
- Mark Sheldon (2005-04-16). "Home runs back Gassner's debut: Soft-tossing rookie largely befuddles Tribe". MLB.com. Retrieved 2008-07-10.
- "#34 Dave Gassner". SoxProspects. Retrieved 2008-07-10.
- Jim Seip (2008-06-05). "York Revs win one, loss pitcher Dave Gassner". York Daily Record. Retrieved 2008-07-10.
- "PORTLAND SQUANDERS A 10-0 LEAD, LOSE 11-10 TO AKRON". Portland Sea Dogs. 2008-06-07. Retrieved 2008-07-10.
- "Dave Gassner". MiLB.com. Retrieved 2008-07-10.