Dave Herman (fighter)
|Born||David J. Herman
October 3, 1984
Columbia City, Indiana, United States
|Height||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight||242 lb (110 kg; 17 st 4 lb)|
|Division||Heavyweight (265 lb)|
|Reach||77.0 in (196 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Temecula, California, United States|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
David John Herman (born October 3, 1984) is an American mixed martial artist who competed in the Heavyweight division of the UFC. A professional competitor since 2006, Herman has also competed in Bellator, EliteXC, World Victory Road, ShoXC, and Shark Fights.
Herman was born in Columbia City, Indiana and raised in Fort Wayne, Indiana, attending Concordia Lutheran High School. At Concordia, Herman participated in various sports including football, track and field, and cross country. He also competed in wrestling for one month in his sophomore year before being expelled from the school. After taking his GED as a junior and spending a year at IPFW, Herman transferred to Indiana University at Bloomington, which has a Division I wrestling program. Despite having basically no high school wrestling experience, Herman competed for Indiana as a walk-on and excelled, competing for three full years and part of a fourth year. He red-shirted his first season which was from 2003–04 and held an impressive 28-9 record in his second season. He then claimed the exclusive starting role in his third season, holding a 28-16 record and qualifying for the NCAA tournament, in which he went 2-2. In a 2006 pre-season ranking, Herman was placed as high as eighth in the nation. In his fourth season Herman started off the season flawlessly, winning a tournament in November, but left a week later with no explanation for his departure but graduated from the university with a degree in general studies. Herman began training in mixed martial arts after watching one of his former college teammates train in the rising sport. He married Madeleine Atchley in March 2014. They live on a farm and are expecting their first child, a boy. 
Mixed martial arts career
Following a 2–0 amateur career, Herman made his professional mixed martial arts debut on December 31, 2006. He quickly amassed an undefeated 11–0 record, fighting 10 times throughout 2007, and went 13-0 before actually joining an MMA gym and officially begin training.
In 2008, Herman signed with the now defunct EliteXC organization. He debuted on the undercard of EliteXC: Street Certified, defeating Mario Rinaldi via TKO. His second bout came at EliteXC: Return of the King, where he defeated Ron Waterman via TKO. He next faced Kerry Schall in the main event of ShoXC 9, which would ultimately be the final show by the company.
Following the dissolution of EliteXC, Herman fought for a variety of promotions including Bellator Fighting Championships, Shark Fights and World Victory Road. Korean fighter Mu Bae Choi handed him his first loss in Japan on January 2009, fighting in the Sengoku promotion. In his next fight Herman defeated Jim York at Sengoku 11.
In 2010, Herman became entangled in a lawsuit with Bellator that kept him out of action in the United States for just over a year. Once the legal issues were settled, Herman was scheduled to face Ricco Rodriguez at Bellator 31 but Rodriguez pulled out of the fight due to a knee injury. Michal Kita stepped in, and served as Rodriguez's replacement. Herman defeated him via first round submission.
Herman received his second loss after being disqualified for illegal knees to Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou. Herman then faced Yoshihiro Nakao at World Victory Road Presents: Soul of Fight. He won the fight via decision, the first fight in his career to go the distance.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
When Brock Lesnar pulled out of his main event fight with Junior dos Santos, Jon Olav Einemo's original opponent, Shane Carwin, stepped up to replace Lesnar against dos Santos. Herman instead fought fellow UFC newcomer Einemo. Herman defeated Einemo via TKO (punches) at 3:19 of round 2 in a back and forth bout that earned Fight of the Night honors.
Herman was scheduled to face Mike Russow on October 8, 2011 at UFC 136. However, the bout was cancelled after Herman failed his preliminary drug test in which he tested positive for marijuana and steroids. Herman denies using the prohibited substances.
Herman tested positive for marijuana for the second time after failing his post-fight drug test for UFC 153. He was suspended for six months and ordered to undergo treatment. The suspension was lifted in April 2013.
Herman was expected to face Shane del Rosario on July 6, 2013 at UFC 162. However, del Rosario was forced off the card due to injury and replaced by Gabriel Gonzaga. Herman lost the fight just 17 seconds into the first round by TKO. After losing four fights in a row, Herman was released from the UFC.
Titan Fighting Championship
Herman was expected to face Walt Harris at Titan FC 30 on September 26, 2014. However Harris was forced out of the bout with a back injury and the fight was then rescheduled to take place at Titan FC 32 on November 20, 2014. However the bout was scrapped after Harris re-signed with the UFC. Herman was then expected to face Jon Madsen for the Titan FC heavyweight championship at the event. On November 4, 2014 it was announced that Titan FC 32 would be postponed to December 19, 2014 and will be moved from Augusta, Georgia to Lowell, Massachusetts Herman subsequently pulled out of the bout due to an injury.
On January 19, 2015 Herman was arrested in the early morning in Indiana, allegedly after leading police on a chase. Herman faces three felony charges, including resisting law enforcement with a vehicle and battery against law enforcement, and a misdemeanor charge of child neglect. His infant child was in the vehicle when he fled and resisted.
According to an incident report issued by the Dekalb County Sheriff Department, Herman was speeding on I-69 with no headlights or taillights on. When officers attempted to pull him over, Herman initially refused to pull over before stopping at a gas station, the report states.
According to the report: “David exited his vehicle and approached Officers in an aggressive manner. David was given multiple warnings to get on the ground and failed to comply. David had to be tased in order to be taken into custody. An infant and adult female were also present in the vehicle.”
Herman's wife Madeleine claims that the police used excessive force and that Dave was attacked and tased by the police officers for not submitting without question. She also claims they opted to wait before pulling over so they could find a well-lit area for their own safety. She filmed the arrest and is demanding that Dave be released and the officers be charged.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|28 matches||22 wins||6 losses|
|Win||22–6||Kalib Starnes||Decision (unanimous)||Titan FC 28: Brilz vs. Davis||May 16, 2014||3||5:00||Newkirk, Oklahoma, United States|
|Loss||21–6||Gabriel Gonzaga||KO (punches)||UFC 162||July 6, 2013||1||0:17||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||21–5||Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira||Submission (armbar)||UFC 153||October 13, 2012||2||4:31||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil||Tested positive for marijuana|
|Loss||21–4||Roy Nelson||KO (punch)||UFC 146||May 26, 2012||1||0:51||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||21–3||Stefan Struve||TKO (punches)||UFC on Fuel TV: Sanchez vs. Ellenberger||February 15, 2012||2||3:52||Omaha, Nebraska, United States|
|Win||21–2||John-Olav Einemo||TKO (punches)||UFC 131||June 11, 2011||2||3:19||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada||Fight of the Night|
|Win||20–2||Yoshihiro Nakao||Decision (unanimous)||World Victory Road Presents: Soul of Fight||December 30, 2010||3||5:00||Tokyo, Japan|
|Win||19–2||Michal Kita||Submission (omoplata)||Bellator 31||September 30, 2010||1||3:16||Lake Charles, Louisiana, United States|
|Loss||18–2||Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou||DQ (illegal knees)||ADFC: Round 1||May 14, 2010||2||N/A||Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates||Openweight Grand Prix Quarterfinal.|
|Win||18–1||Jim York||KO (axe kicks and punches)||World Victory Road Presents: Sengoku 11||November 7, 2009||1||2:25||Tokyo, Japan|
|Win||17–1||Don Frye||TKO (punches)||Shark Fights 6: Stars & Stripes||September 12, 2009||1||1:00||Amarillo, Texas, United States|
|Win||16–1||Josh Barnes||KO (knee and punches)||Bellator 5||May 1, 2009||1||4:46||Dayton, Ohio, United States|
|Loss||15–1||Choi Mu-Bae||TKO (punches)||World Victory Road Presents: Sengoku no Ran 2009||January 4, 2009||2||2:22||Saitama, Japan|
|Win||15–0||Chris Guillen||TKO (punches)||KOK: Season's Beatings||November 22, 2008||1||1:32||Austin, Texas, United States|
|Win||14–0||Kerry Schall||TKO (knees and punches)||ShoXC 9||October 10, 2008||1||1:06||Hammond, Indiana, United States|
|Win||13–0||Ron Waterman||TKO (punches)||EliteXC: Return of the King||June 14, 2008||1||2:19||Honolulu, Hawaii, United States|
|Win||12–0||Mario Rinaldi||TKO (knees and punches)||EliteXC: Street Certified||February 16, 2008||3||0:33||Miami, Florida, United States|
|Win||11–0||Justin Kuhn||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Maximum Combat||December 8, 2007||1||2:56||United States|
|Win||10–0||Chuck Geyer||KO (punch)||LOF 22: Nemesis||November 30, 2007||1||1:31||Indianapolis, Indiana, United States|
|Win||9–0||Terry Tucker||KO (punch)||LOF 20: Bitter Rivals||September 28, 2007||1||N/A||Indianapolis, Indiana, United States|
|Win||8–0||Jordan Wall||Submission (punches)||Title Fighting Championships||June 30, 2007||1||1:30||Des Moines, Iowa, United States|
|Win||7–0||Andre Mussi||TKO (punches)||Fight Night in the Flats III||June 9, 2007||1||3:00||Cleveland, Ohio, United States|
|Win||6–0||James Samuels||KO (punch)||LOF 18: Pole Position||May 25, 2007||1||0:18||Indianapolis, Indiana, United States|
|Win||5–0||James Ferguson||KO (punch)||LOF 17: Unrivaled||May 19, 2007||1||1:59||Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States|
|Win||4–0||Seth Parker||Submission (rear-naked choke)||LOF: Revolution 4||April 13, 2007||1||3:11||Plainfield, Indiana, United States|
|Win||3–0||Greg Hammer||Submission (punches)||FSG: Coliseum Carnage||April 8, 2007||1||1:13||Ames, Iowa, United States|
|Win||2–0||Jeff Orieze||KO (punch)||LOF: Revolution 2||February 17, 2007||1||4:59||Plainfield, Indiana, United States|
|Win||1–0||Mike Cooke||KO (punch)||LOF 12: Black Tie Battles||December 31, 2006||1||1:39||Indianapolis, Indiana, United States|
- "MMA's Top 25 Unknown and Up & Coming Heavyweights". 2010-09-12.
- "Jeff Monson to Struggle For Relevance Against Dave Herman". 2010-09-12.
- "Exclusive interview with EliteXC heavyweight prospect Dave Herman". 2010-09-12.
- Coach Mike R. "UFC 162 Factgrinder: The strange wrestling journey of Dave Herman". Bloody Elbow.
- "Dave Herman vs. Jim York". 2010-10-14.
- "MMA ruling social media". sportsnet.ca. 2010-07-21.
- "Dave Herman vs. Ricco Rodriguez booked for Bellator 31". 2010-09-12. Archived from the original on 2010-09-14.
- "Knee surgery forces Ricco Rodriguez out of Bellator 31 fight with Dave Herman". 2010-09-17. Archived from the original on 2010-09-21.
- "Ricco Rodriguez Out, Herman Ready For Kita". 2010-09-24.
- "Herman-Nakao Slated for WVR 'Soul of Fight'". 2010-11-19.
- "UFC Signs Dave "Pee-Wee" Herman, Makes Debut Against Rob Broughton at UFC 131". mmaweekly.com.
- "Joey Beltran vs. Dave Herman added to UFC 131 in Vancouver". mmajunkie.com.com. March 31, 2011.
- "Heavyweight changes continue". ufc.com. May 13, 2011.
- "UFC 136: Dave Herman vs Mike Russow fight announced for Oct. 8 in Houston, Texas". mmamania.com. 2011-07-14.
- "Dave Herman says UFC 136 scratch due to failed drug test for marijuana, steroids". mmajunkie.com. September 29, 2011. Retrieved September 29, 2011.
- "Dave Herman vs. Stefan Struve targeted for UFC on FUEL TV 1". mmajunkie.com. November 30, 2011. Archived from the original on December 2, 2011. Retrieved November 30, 2011.
- "Roy Nelson vs Dave Herman booked with Gabriel Gonzaga injured". mmamania.com. May 2, 2012. Retrieved May 2, 2012.
- Halvatzis Jr., George (September 12, 2012). "Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Dave Herman Booked For UFC 153 On Oct. 13 In Rio". mmamania.com.
- "UFC suspends Bonnar one year; Herman ordered to undergo treatment, suspension awaits". mmajunkie.com. 2012-11-06. Archived from the original on 2012-11-08. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- "Dave Herman passes drug test, reinstated to fight in UFC". mmajunkie.com. 2013-04-09. Archived from the original on 2013-04-11. Retrieved 2013-04-09.
- Staff (April 11, 2013). "Herman vs. Del Rosario headed to UFC 162". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved April 11, 2013.
- "Shane del Rosario forced out at UFC 162, Dave Herman now meets Gabriel Gonzaga". mmajunkie.com. 2013-05-31. Retrieved 2013-06-01.
- "August 2013: Six Fighter removed from UFC roster". bloodyelbow.com. 2013-08-15.
- Jamie Penick (2014-01-28). "UFC vets Dave Herman, Jeff Curran sign with Titan FC, debut in April on CBS Sports Network". mmatorch.com. Retrieved 2014-01-29.
- Josh Sanchez (2014-04-01). "Kalib Starnes to face Dave Herman at Titan FC 28". fansided.com. Retrieved 2014-04-03.
- Karim Zidan. "CEO Jeff Aronson confident in decision to delay Titan FC 28, says he is 'not going to put a subpar product out'". Bloody Elbow.
- Mike Bohn (2014-09-09). "Titan FC 30's Dave Herman: Weightlifting my lone training outlet for Walt Harris". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-09-26.
- Jason Floyd (2014-09-17). "Back injury to Walt Harris delays fight against Dave Herman to November in Titan FC". themmareport.com. Retrieved 2014-10-01.
- MMAjunkie Staff (2014-10-21). "Walt Harris returns to UFC, meets Soa Palelei at UFC Fight Night 55". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-11-29.
- MMAjunkie Staff (2014-11-01). "Titan FC 32 heads to Georgia with Dave Herman-Jon Madsen title fight". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-11-29.
- Steven Marrocco (2014-11-04). "Titan FC 32 postponed to December, moves from Georgia to Massachusetts". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-11-29.
- MMAjunkie Staff (2015-01-20). "UFC and Bellator vet Dave Herman arrested after police chase". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-01-21.
- Mike Fridley (2015-01-20). "Report: UFC Veteran Dave Herman Arrested Following Police Chase". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2015-01-21.
- Adam Kokesh (2015-01-20). "MMA fighter Dave Herman tased by cops (original footage) & plea for help from wife, Madeleine". youtube.com. Retrieved 2015-01-21.