A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Kellett in June 2011
|Residence||Los Angeles, California|
|Other names||David Kellett|
|Education||University of Notre Dame|
University of California, San Diego
University of Kent at Canterbury
|Known for||Creator of Sheldon and Drive|
|Spouse(s)||Gloria Calderon Kellett (2001-present)|
Early years and education
Kellett is a southern California native. He graduated from the University of Notre Dame with a bachelors in English and Spanish. While there, he produced the daily comic strip Four Groups of the Apocalypse for the student newspaper The Observer. He earned a master's degree from University of California, San Diego in Literature with his thesis, "To draw in the crowd : the cartoon and the 'public sphere' of eighteenth-century England." He received the Rotary Foundation Ambassadorial Scholarship, to attend the University of Kent at Canterbury in England (within the Centre for Cartooning and Caricature Studies). There, he earned a master's degree in History of cartoon art propaganda with his thesis, "Philip Zec: Cartoonist in a Propaganda War."
Dave Kellett is the creator behind the successful web comics: Sheldon about a 10-year-old computer genius billionaire, and the sci-fi strip Drive. The author of twelve comic books, and the co-author of the Harvey-Award-nominated book How To Make Webcomics, Kellett regularly speaks around the country on the subject of cartooning in new media.
Currently, he is working on a comics documentary with twice-Sundance-nominated cinematographer, Fred Schroeder. He has been an invited speaker at Savannah College of Art & Design, the Society of Illustrators, Ohio State’s triennial Festival of Cartoon Art, the Charles M. Schulz Museum, the San Francisco Cartoon Art Museum, Loyola Marymount University, South by Southwest Festival (SxSW), San Diego Comic-Con, New York Comic-Con, Seattle’s Emerald City Comicon and more. His cartoons have appeared in the Los Angeles Times, San Diego Union-Tribune, and dozens of others.
Kellett holds two master's degrees in the art and history of cartooning: First, at the University of California San Diego; and then at the University of Kent, UK, at its Centre for Cartoon and Caricature Studies, on a full academic scholarship from the Rotary Foundation. After working for Mattel Toys as the head writer and a senior toy designer for 8 years, Dave pursued cartooning full-time in 2007. Dave started Sheldon in 1998 and Drive in 2009.
- Winner, 2015 National Cartoonists' Society On-line comics - Short Form Silver Reuben Award for Sheldon.
- Nominated for an Eisner Award in 2011
- Nominated for a Harvey Award in 2009
- Finalist, Scripps Howard Foundation National Journalism Award (College Cartooning)
- Rotary Foundation Ambassadorial Scholar 
Kellett has authored the following books:
- Still Got It: The Seventh Sheldon Collection ISBN 978-0-9655060-9-0
- Living Dangerously With Saturated Fats: The Sixth Sheldon Collection ISBN 978-0-9655060-8-3
- Nerds On Parade: The Fifth Sheldon Collection ISBN 978-0-9655060-7-6
- Pugs: God's Little Weirdos ISBN 978-0-9655060-6-9
- A Blizzard of Lizards: The Fourth Sheldon Collection ISBN 978-0-9655060-5-2
- 62% More Awesome: The Third Sheldon Collection
- The Good, The Bad & The Pugly: The Second Sheldon Collection ISBN 978-0-9655060-3-8
- Pure Ducky Goodness: The First Sheldon Collection ISBN 0-9655060-1-0
- A Well Balanced Meal: The Very Best of: Four Food Groups of the Apocalypse ISBN 0-9655060-0-2
He also co-authored the book How to Make Webcomics.
Acting and other projects
Kellett was a part of the sketch comedy group And Donkey Makes Five from Los Angeles, California. He also performed in Comedy Central's South Beach Comedy Festival in Miami in 2009. Kellett has performed on stage in Skirts and Flirts in New York and in Los Angeles. He also performed in Der Inka von Peru at the George Wood Theatre in London.
Kellett was a co-host of the comics-focused podcast, Webcomics Weekly.
- Drawn.ca review of How To Make Webcomics
- Forum on Sheldon Comics
- Starting the Next Course by KC Kenney
- ‘’To draw in the crowd : the cartoon and the "public sphere" of eighteenth-century England’’ by Dave Kellett
- Rotary Foundation article
- Thesis ‘’Philip Zec: Cartoonist in a Propaganda War
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-06-11. Retrieved 2011-06-11.
- Publishers Weekly on Harvey Award
- Comix Talk
- Kellett Biography
- Article on Kellett by Rotary Foundation
- How to Make Webcomics
- And Donkey Makes Five
- South Beach Comedy Festival
- Skirts and Flirts in New York
- Skirts and Flirts in Los Angeles
- Webcomics Weekly