Dave Myers (presenter)
Dave Myers (right) with Si King
David James Myers
8 September 1957
|Spouse(s)||Liliana Orzac (m. 2011)|
|Children||2 ( step children)|
|Website||Hairy Bikers official site|
David James Myers (born 8 September 1957) is an English television presenter, best known as one half of the Hairy Bikers, along with Si King. Together, they have presented a number of television cookery series for the BBC. They have also launched their own product called The Hairy Bikers Diet Club.
Myers was born in Barrow-in-Furness where his father worked as a foreman in a paper mill. He attended Barrow-in-Furness Grammar School for Boys where he had an inspirational art teacher. He went on to earn a fine art degree at Goldsmiths, University of London and a master's degree in art history.
Myers then became a professional make-up artist, specialising in prosthetics. He met Si King in 1995 on the set of a TV drama titled The Gambling Man.
The duo appeared on the BBC's show The Hairy Bikers' Cookbook. The show presents a mixture of cookery and travelogue, using a similar format and style as Keith Floyd, including the habit of frequently referring to the cameraman and other crew. Most shows feature the pair riding motorbikes, including the BMW R1200GS, F650GS and Triumph Rocket III. The show also features elements of the Two Fat Ladies format, including regular banter between the two stars, use of various unusual cooking locations and the use of motorbikes.
On 24 August 2009, they hosted a 30-part daytime series for BBC Two, The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain, which aired weekdays. The series saw them visit a different county each day and cook what they considered to be that county's signature dish.
In January 2010, a six-part series titled The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best was broadcast on BBC Two.
On 25 October 2010 a new 40-episode series, The Hairy Bikers' Cook Off, was launched on BBC Two. The programme included a cook off between two families and celebrity guests.
From January to May 2010, the Hairy Bikers performed their Big Night Out show in theatres throughout the UK. Directed by Bob Mortimer, the show was a fun mixture of cooking and chat plus a little song and dance. It explored their youth, how they met and their love of food.
In June 2011, the Bikers appeared in the second series of Mum Knows Best. The series, made up of eight episodes, featured three 'Star Mums' whose recipes were tested and shared with the public.
From November to December 2011, the Bikers appeared in a 30-part BBC series called Hairy Bikers: Best of British, airing at 3:45pm on BBC Two (apart from the show's final week, in which it aired on BBC One). The series celebrated British recipes and championed local produce. In January 2012, continuing into February, BBC Two showed hour-long re-versions including recipes from various episodes of the series.
After they had signed new contracts with the BBC in 2011, a new series was commissioned. The Hairy Biker's Bakeation saw the Hairy Bikers doing what they love best – a gastronomic road trip, uncovering the best baking on offer across Europe, from Norway, the Low Countries (Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg), Germany, Eastern Europe (Slovakia, Hungary and Romania), Austria, Italy and France to Spain.
In March 2012, Good Food commissioned The Hairy Biker's Mississippi Adventure, the duo's first series for the channel. UKTV gave a description of the series: "In this ultimate food and music pilgrimage, the perennially popular Hairy Bikers are getting back in the saddle as they explore the length of the iconic Mississippi River in America in pursuit of the delicious roots of soul food and Southern music." The series was produced by Mentorn Media, and the Bikers' first interactive iOS app, also produced by Mentorn, was released to accompany the series.
In August 2012, Hairy Dieters: How to Love Food and Lose Weight showed how The Hairy Bikers radically changed lifestyles, but stayed true to their love of great food, as they embarked on a campaign to lose two and a half stones (15.8 kg (35 lb)) in three months, and comfortably passed their target weights.
In February 2014, they launched a new series, The Hairy Bikers' Asian Adventure for BBC Two which saw them travelling in Asia sampling the local cuisine, meeting local people and cooking up some native dishes themselves. The series follows in a similar style to the Bakeation series in 2012.
In March 2015, they co-presented The Nation's Favourite Food on BBC Two alongside Lorraine Pascale.
After having experienced their own success with balancing eating the food they love while also being conscious of their health and losing weight, they wanted to help others to do the same. In January 2014, they launched The Hairy Bikers Diet Club, which includes recipes and tips and tricks to help people to live a healthier and trimmer life, while not starving to be "skinny minnies".
- Guest appearances
- Richard & Judy – Guest
- The Weakest Link: Celebrity Special – Contestant
- Hole in the Wall (20 September 2008) – Contestant
- Genius (October 2010) – Guest
- This Morning (30 July 2012) – Guest chef
- Countdown (August 2012, January 2013, October 2014) – Guest in Dictionary Corner
- Sunday Brunch (16 September 2012) – Guest
- Loose Women (22 March 2013, 22 October 2013, 13 February 2014, 17 October 2014) – Guest
- Would I Lie To You? (28 June 2013) – Panellist
- Never Mind the Buzzcocks (23 September 2013) – Panellist
- Lorraine (12 November 2013) – Guest
- Daybreak (15 January 2014) – Guest
- Room 101 (7 February 2014) – Guest
- All About Two (20 April 2014) – Guest panellist
- Through the Keyhole (11 October 2014) – Celebrity homeowner
- Holiday of My Lifetime (20 October 2014) – Guest
- The Great British Children in Need Sewing Bee (21 October 2014) – Contestant
- Celebrity Juice (24 October 2014) – Panellist
- All Star Family Fortunes (25 January 2015) – Contestant
- A Cook Abroad (2 February 2015) – Guest presenter
- The Chase: Celebrity Special (upcoming 2015) – Contestant
Strictly Come Dancing
|Craig Revel Horwood||Darcey Bussell||Len Goodman||Bruno Tonioli||Total|
|1||Cha-Cha-Cha / "Moves Like Jagger"||2||5||5||4||16||Safe|
|2||American Smooth / "How D'Ya Like Your Eggs in the Morning?"||3||5||5||4||17||Safe|
|3||Paso Doble / "I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)"||2||5||5||4||16||Safe|
|4||Waltz / "Take It to the Limit"||5||6||6||6||23||Safe|
|5||Salsa / "Cuban Pete"||3||5||5||4||17||Safe|
|6||Jive / "Monster Mash"||4||5||6||4||19||Safe|
|7||Tango / "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)"||4||6||6||4||20||Eliminated|
In 2011, Myers married his Romanian girlfriend Liliana Orzac.
He has 2 step Children, from Orzac’s previous relationship.
- "Hairy Bikers' Diet Club - Welcome - Lose Weight With Us". Hairy Bikers Diet Club. Retrieved 11 May 2017.
- Dave Myers Family Values at The Guardian. Retrieved 5 September 2014
- My best teacher – Dave Myers at Times Educational Supplement 2009. Retrieved 30 August 2014
- "Two Hairy Bikers and one lucky winner". World of BMW. 31 May 2006. Archived from the original on 10 July 2009. Retrieved 9 January 2009.
- Welch, Andy (18 August 2008). "Crumbs – more hairy moments". Manchester Evening News. Retrieved 9 January 2009.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20090802031721/http://www.hairybikers.com/blog/index.php?article=102. Archived from the original on 2 August 2009. Retrieved 4 August 2015. Missing or empty
- kazy (20 January 2010). "Mums Know Best – Series 1 – Shows". Hairy Bikers. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- "Mums Know Best – Series 2 – Shows". Hairy Bikers. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- "Meals on Wheels – Shows". Hairy Bikers. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- "Best of British – Shows". Hairy Bikers. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- "BBC Two – Hairy Dieters: How to Love Food and Lose Weight". Bbc.co.uk. 1 January 1970. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- "Meet the Cinderella Reading Cast #2". Imagine Theatre, Coventry. December 15, 2014. Retrieved January 18, 2017.
- "BBC - Holiday Of My Lifetime - Media Centre". www.bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 11 May 2017.
- "The BBC Children in Need Sewing Bee on BBC2 tonight with Hairy Biker Dave Myers, DJ Edith Bowman, Dr Dawn Harper from Embarrassing Bodies, Wendi Peters & Jenny Eclair". 21 October 2014. Retrieved 11 May 2017.
- "All Star Family Fortunes Episode 1". Retrieved 11 May 2017.
- "Dave Myers' Egypt, A Cook Abroad - BBC Two". BBC. Retrieved 11 May 2017.
- "Week 4 Dances". Retrieved 11 May 2017.
- MIDGLEY, DOMINIC. "Dave Myers is the Strictly hairy dancer turned make-up artist and antiques fanatic!". Express. Express. Retrieved 23 January 2016.