This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Dave Nachmanoff (born July 23, 1964) is an award-winning American folk singer-songwriter and the sideman to Al Stewart ("Year of the Cat", "Time Passages"). At the age of ten (circa 1975) he played with Elizabeth Cotten (“Freight Train”), garnering a positive review in the The Washington Star.
Nachmanoff is originally from Northern Virginia and currently makes his home in Davis, California. He is the brother of screenwriter- director Jeffrey Nachmanoff. He earned a Ph.D in Philosophy from the University of California, Davis. He has several solo releases and other collaborations available, and in 2009, appears with Al Stewart on "Uncorked - Al Stewart Live with Dave Nachmanoff". In 2011, he released his first album in five years, "Step Up", featuring musicians Bob Malone (John Fogerty), Ian Sheridan (Jason Mraz), and Victor Bisetti (Los Lobos), and vocalists Al Stewart, Rosemary Butler, John Wicks (singer) (of The Records) and Liz Bligan. The CD was produced by Ronan Chris Murphy. In 2016, he released "Spinoza's Dream", a philosophically themed album featuring many of the backing musicians from Al Stewart's "Year of the Cat" album. The album was produced by Martin Levan.
Notable festivals that he has performed at include the Northern VA Folk Festival (Arlington, VA), National Folk Life Festival (DC), Napa Valley Music Festival (Napa, CA), High Sierra Festival (Bear Valley, CA), Northwest Folklife Festival (Seattle, WA), Juan de Fuca Festival of the Arts (Pt. Angeles, WA), Kerrville Festival (Kerrville, TX), Tucson Folk Festival (Tucson, AZ) and South Florida Folk Festival (Ft Lauderdale). Notable music venues at which he has performed include the Great American Music Hall (San Francisco, CA), the Royal Albert Hall (London, UK), the Freight and Salvage (Berkeley, CA), Kuumbwa Jazz Center (Santa Cruz, CA), the Birchmere (Alexandria, VA), Club Passim (Cambridge, MA), the Sweetwater (Mill Valley, CA), The Bottom Line (New York, NY), and the Woodstock Opera House (Woodstock, IL).
As a side player (guitar, piano, bass, accordion and more) he has worked with Al Stewart on a regular basis, as well as many others at venues as far ranging as The Bottom Line and the Edmonton Folk Festival. He has shared the stage with Cheryl Wheeler, Steve Forbert, The Pogues, America, Alison Krauss and many more.
- Dweller on the Threshold (1993, Troubador)
- Down on the Soundfarm (1994, Troubador)
- Candy Shower (1997, Orchard)
- Snapshots (1998, Orchard)
- A Certain Distance (2001, Troubador)
- Holy Smokes: Ice Cream For Breakfast (2002, Troubador)
- Threads of Time (2004, Troubador)
- In The Family (2004, Troubador)
- Wordless Rhymes (2005, Troubador)
- Time Before The Fall (2006, Troubador)
- Uncorked (Live with Dave Nachmanoff) (with Al Stewart) (2009, Wallaby Trails Recordings)
- Step Up (2011, Troubador)
- Spinoza's Dream (2016, Troubador)
- Just Plain Folks Awards (2001) Songwriter of the Year, New Folk Album of the Year, Gospel Song of the Year, 3rd place Best Live Album, 3rd place Best Male Singer/songwriter, 4th place Best Blues Song, 6th place Best Traditional Folk Song.
- South Florida Folk Festival, 2002 Best Overall
- South Florida Folk Festival, Finalist, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001
- Tucson Folk Festival, National Songwriting Competition (2nd Place), 1999; judge (2000)
- Portland Songwriting Association (2001) - Best Overall Song, 1st and 3rd Place in Folk
- SAMMIE Nomination – Best Folk Act (1999)
- Singer-philosopher Nachmanoff to sing Last Minute Folk concert, The Topeka Capital-Journal - August 18, 2016
- Artist's `Two-Tracked Life' - Nachmanoff Combines Passion for Folk Music with his Academic Training, Richmond Times-Dispatch - April 25, 2002
- Something to sing about - Writing songs with seniors strikes timely note for Northern California folk artist, San Francisco Chronicle - The San Francisco Chronicle - March 24, 2002
- 'Dr. Dave' delivers a solo concert, Davis Enterprise, The (CA) - November 7, 2007