|Birth name||David Jairus Ochieng Okumu|
October 12, 1976 |
|Occupation(s)||Musician, songwriter, producer|
|Labels||Ninja Tune, Universal|
|Associated acts||The Invisible, Jessie Ware, Anna Calvi|
David Jairus Ochieng Okumu, born 12 October 1976 in Vienna, Austria is the singer and guitarist best known for fronting the critically acclaimed band The Invisible. Their debut album, released in March 2009, was nominated for a Mercury Prize (2009) and selected as 'iTunes album of the year'.
Okumu grew up in Vienna, surrounded by music enthusiasts. He moved to the UK when he was 10 because his father, Washington Okumu, placed himself in exile. His love of music, which developed from a young age, has led him to become a songwriter, producer and performing musician. He has performed and recorded with many artists such as Robert Miles, Amy Winehouse, St. Vincent, Jane Birkin, Sara Creative Partners, Brigitte Fontaine, Theo Parrish, Tony Allen, King Sunny Adé, Omar, Matthew Herbert, Dani Siciliano, Toddla T, Bilal, Jack De Johnette, and Anna Calvi.
- "Dave Okumu". Discogs. Retrieved 30 August 2013.
- "Dave Okumu". AllMusic. Retrieved 30 August 2013.
- "Dave Okumu". Universal Music Publishing. Retrieved 2013-04-22.
- "Mercury Prize 2009". BBC. Retrieved 2013-04-22.
- "The Invisible hailed by iTunes as Album of the Year". Accidental Records. Retrieved 2013-04-22.
- "Th1rt3en - Robert Miles ¦ Credits". Retrieved 2017-12-08.
- "Jessie Ware". Mercury Prize. Retrieved 2013-04-22.