||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
David Rawlings performing in 2014
|Born||North Smithfield, Rhode Island, U.S.|
|Genres||Bluegrass, Americana, folk, old time, neotraditional country, American Primitivism|
|Associated acts||Dave Rawlings Machine, Gillian Welch|
|1935 Epiphone Olympic Guitar|
David Todd Rawlings is an American guitarist, singer, and record producer. He is known for his partnership with singer and songwriter Gillian Welch.
Rawlings attended the Berklee College of Music and studied with Lauren Passarelli. He produced albums by Gillian Welch and Old Crow Medicine Show. He leads the Dave Rawlings Machine with Gillian Welch, Willie Watson, Paul Kowert, and Brittany Haas. He contributed to the albums Cassadaga by Bright Eyes, Spooked by Robyn Hitchcock, and Heartbreaker by Ryan Adams, with whom he wrote two songs, "To Be Young (Is to Be Sad, Is to Be High)" and "Touch, Feel and Lose".
The Dave Rawlings Machine album A Friend of a Friend was released on November 17, 2009. Rawlings recorded the album in Nashville, and produced it himself. Co-writers and musicians on the album include Welch as well as members of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Old Crow Medicine Show, and Bright Eyes. Rawlings is also best friends with movie producer Douglas Wick. In 2015 Dave Rawlings Machine released a second album, Nashville Obsolete.
Rawlings achieves his signature guitar sound flatpicking a small archtop guitar. The 1935 Epiphone Olympic that has been his primary instrument was a mid-priced guitar for its time, with a carved arched solid sprucewood top, carved arched solid mahogany back and mahogany sides. It sold for about $35 in 1935. The guitar's lower bout measures 13 5/8 inches wide, and it has three piece f-holes.
- A Friend of a Friend (Acony, 2009)
- Nashville Obsolete (Acony, 2015)
With Ryan Adams
With Bright Eyes
- Ani DiFranco, Swing Set (2000)
- Old Crow Medicine Show, Old Crow Medicine Show (2004)
- Robyn Hitchcock, Spooked (2004)
- The Whispertown 2000, Swim (Acony, 2008)
- Sara Watkins, Sara Watkins (Nonesuch, 2009)
- Graff, Gary (September 29, 2009). "Dave Rawlings Steps Into Spotlight With 'A Friend Of A Friend'". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2009-09-30.
- "The Ghostly Ones". The New Yorker. 2004-09-20. Retrieved 2015-12-27.
- 1934 Epiphone sales catalog
- "Acguitar.com". Acguitar.com. Retrieved 2015-12-27.