|Born||January 8, 1960|
|Genres||Jazz fusion, post-bop|
Weckl started playing his first set of drums at age 8 in his spare room along to records. He later played in the living room, sometimes with his father on piano. Weckl studied at the University of Bridgeport. Starting out on the New York fusion scene in the early 1980s, Weckl soon began working with artists such as Paul Simon, George Benson, Michel Camilo, Robert Plant and Anthony Jackson.
He was with the Chick Corea Elektric Band from 1985 to 1991. During this time, he performed on many albums and also appeared with Corea's Akoustic Band. He "augmented his work with Corea by continuing his session work and appearing often with the GRP All-Star Big Band". Weckl has released a series of instructional videotapes. His first recording as leader was in 1990 – Master Plan, for GRP. This was followed by Heads Up in 1992, and Hard-Wired in 1994. Later on, Weckl recorded and toured with guitarist Mike Stern.
- 1990 – Master Plan (GRP)
- 1992 – Heads Up (GRP)
- 1993 – J.K. Special (Lipstick)
- 1994 – Hard Wired (GRP)
Dave Weckl Band:
- 1998 – Rhythm of the Soul (Stretch)
- 1999 – Synergy (Stretch)
- 2000 – Transition (Stretch)
- 2001 – The Zone (Stretch)
- 2002 – Perpetual Motion (Stretch)
- 2003 – Live (And Very Plugged In) (Stretch)
- 2005 – Multiplicity (Stretch)
Dave Weckl and Jay Oliver:
- 2014 – Convergence
The Dave Weckl Acoustic Band:
- 2015 – Of the Same Mind
- Magic Fingers (DMP, 1989)
With the GRP All-Star Big Band
- GRP All-Star Big Band, (GRP, 1992)
- Dave Grusin Presents GRP All-Star Big Band Live!, (GRP, 1993)
- All Blues, (GRP, 1995)
With Chris Minh Doky
- CMD & The Nomads', (Red Dot, 2014)
- 1988 – Back to Basics (DCI music)
- 1990 – The Next Step (DCI music)
- 1993 – Working It Out: Latin Percussion I - With Walfredo Reyes, Sr. (DCI music)
- 1993 – Working It Out: Latin Percussion II - With Walfredo Reyes, Sr. (DCI Music)
- 2000 – How to Develop Your Own Sound (Carl Fischer publishing)
- 2000 – How to Practice (Carl Fischer publishing)
- 2000 – How to Develop Technique (Carl Fischer publishing)
- 1988 – Back to Basics
- 1992 – The Next Step (Manhattan Music)
- 1994 – Contemporary Drummer + One (Manhattan Music)
- 1997 – Ultimate Play-Along for Drums level I vol. I (Alfred Publishing Company)
- 1997 – Ultimate Play-Along for Drums level I vol. II (Alfred Publishing Company)
- 2001 – In Session with the Dave Weckl Band (Carl Fischer Music)
- 2004 – Exercises for Natural Playing (Carl Fischer Music)
- "Modern Drummer's Readers Poll Archive, 1979–2014". Modern Drummer. Retrieved August 10, 2015.
- "Dave Weckl : History". www.daveweckl.com. Retrieved 2020-03-08.
- Freedman, Stefanee (March 9, 2006). "Dave Weckl: Rhythm Talk". AllAboutJazz.com. Retrieved March 27, 2010.
- Huey, Steve. "Dave Weckl biography". Allmusic. Retrieved March 27, 2010.
- "Dave Weckl at All About Jazz". Archived from the original on October 13, 2009. Retrieved March 27, 2010.