Dave White (artist)
|Education||Liverpool John Moores|
|Known for||Pop Art Contemporary Art Expressionism Painting|
|Notable work||Americana Rodeo Rider for AOL HQ Vintage Military Collection Sneakers|
|Movement||Pop Art Contemporary Art|
Dave White (born 1971) is a contemporary British Artist. White works in the department of sneaker design, having done so with celebrities such as Jay-Z. Other high end companies such as Nike incorporate his work into their designs and collaborate with him continuously. His designs are seen at exhibits, art fairs, and galleries all over the world emphasizing his expertise. Dave White is an artist that is passionate about his work and has risen to the top in working with top notch companies.
Background and Career
Dave White (born 1971) is a Contemporary British Artist executing a unique expressive application to his work and has exhibited internationally whilst collaborating with various brand design projects with clients including Nike, Aol and Brand Jordan.
Touted as the UK's Andy Warhol he has worked on various subject matters inspired by Popular Culture.
Joining Liverpool John Moores University in 1991 to study BA (Hons) Fine Art (Painting), White painted in John Lennon's old art studio. Graduating in 1994, White exhibited with the Northern Graduates Exhibition at the Royal College of Art in London. White became represented by Anthony Brown of Connaught Brown with a five year artist/gallery relationship and exhibited at art fairs and galleries all over the world with his series of animal portraits. The highlight of this period was the Blue Cross Centenary Exhibition at Sotheby's where he exhibited alongside Picasso and David Hockney. White is currently represented by GUSFORD.
From 2002, White’s work was celebrated for his dedication to a sneaker series, pioneering the movement known as ‘sneaker art’ which brought international exhibitions and appearances. Companies such as Nike who own a series of his work in their corporate collections, continue to collaborate with him. His collection was exhibited globally examples including the People’s Square Exhibition Hall in Shanghai to the Atlanta Contemporary Art Centre in the USA.
In 2007 White was commissioned by Coca Cola to create a painting of Jay Z’s new design for Cherry Coke. White’s work was exhibited at the celebrated Dia Arts Centre in New York and is now displayed at Coca Cola Headquarters in Atlanta, USA. 2007 also brought White’s debut solo exhibition during Art Basel Miami ‘The Good, The Bad and The Ugly’ featuring large scale superhero portraits, where White was featured in the Art Basel press and Miami TV and radio (see Media Links)
In 2008, White held his debut solo exhibition of his vintage military inspired pop art portraits in a show entitled ‘Planes, Tanks and Automatics’ at the Truman Brewery during Frieze week which was featured in the Wall St Journal and “sold briskly” (Bloomberg Press NY) in spite of economic turmoil. Stephen Adams of The Daily Telegraph described him as ‘one of Britain’s most feted up and coming painters’.
Later Works and Collaborations
In 2010 White exhibited at the New Museum of Contemporary Art in New York on the ‘Project on Creativity’ with Chuck Close, celebrating Aol’s 25th Anniversary. White was also invited to create a live installation at All Things Digital in Los Angeles. Quoted by New York Art Beat (nyartbeat.com) as ‘Known for his unique choice of subject, superior skills, and unique method of painting’. Later in the year he was also commissioned to create his largest ever work ‘Rodeo Rider’ 11 ft x 8 ft for Aol’s New York headquarters.
In 2011 White has collaborated on a unique artists project with Brand Jordan, launching in Los Angeles for their corporate responsibility programme ‘WINGS for the Future’, designing 23 pairs of bespoke All Star sneakers which were auctioned for the charity raising $23,000. 2012 saw a wider release, although equally sought after Air Jordan I being released in the USA, Europe and China.
White's last collection of work 'Americana' exhibited in London and Copenhagen in 2011 and was featured on BBC Radio 2's The Arts Show, as well as in international press (see links below).
Select Group Exhibitions
- 2015 Summer Show, Joseph Gross Gallery, New York
- 2015 Dog Days, Hang Up Gallery, London
- 2015 Mix , Lawrence Alkin Gallery
- 2015 Art 15 with Jealous Gallery
- 2015 London Original Print Fair with Jealous Gallery
- 2015 Loughran Gallery, Edinburgh, Scotland
- 2015 Jealous Take Over at The Cock n' Bull Gallery (Tramshed), London
- 2014 This is Jealous, Jealous Gallery, London
- 2014 Hang Up Collections - Volume I, Hang Up Gallery, London
- 2014 Mix, Lawrence Alkin Gallery, London
- 2014 Sprung Loughran Gallery, London
- 2013 Loughran Gallery Shoreditch London
- 2012 RE:DEFINE Goss-Michael Foundation, Dallas, USA curated by The Future Tense
- 2012 BT Art Box Trafalgar Square, London
- 2012 CNNCTD+100 New Museum of Contemporary Art, New York
- 2011 Dunkeys Evolve with Coolrain, Imazoo Gallery, Seoul, Korea
- 2011 Mixed Up’, Galerie Jules Julian, Copenhagen, Denmark
- 2011 15 Artists Interpret South Park, curated by Ron English, Opera Gallery, New York
- 2010 Forgotten Alchemy, Art Copenhagen c/o Galleri Jules Julian, Denmark
- 2010 Project on Creativity, New Museum of Contemporary Art, New York
- 2010 Art Karlruhse, Germany c/o Galerie Wild
- 2009 Kunst Zurich c/o Galerie Wild
- 2009 There’s Still Life, Art London c/o Mauger Modern Art
- 2009 Rising Stars, Seoul Art Museum, Korea
- 2009 EISZEIT, Galerie Wild Zurich
- 2008 Amerikanische Kunst & Pop Art, Galerie Wild Franfurt; travelled to Galerie Wild Zurich
- 2008 Be True, Pop Art Gallery, Seoul
- 2007 Unveiling Cherry Coke, Dia Arts Centre, New York (curated by The Strategic Group)
- 2007 My Kimono, Tomofuko Gallery, Tokyo
- 2007 Lucky Cat, Source Gallery, Shanghai
- 2006 Sneaker Pimps, Atlanta Contemporary Art Center, Atlanta
- 2005 Jordan XXI, People’s Square Urban Exhibition Hall, Shanghai
- 2005 Rayguns, White Gallery, Beijing
- 2005 Your Shoes, Refill Gallery, Sydney
- 2004 Fresh Still Life, Centrum Beeldende Kunst, Rotterdam (curated by Wink Van Kempen)
- 2003 In the Summertime, Galerie Wild, Frankfurt
- 2001 Crows Having Fun, Raw Gallery, London
- 1998 Chicago Art Fair, c/o Connaught Brown, London
- 1997 Group Show, Connaught Brown, London
- 1996 Paris Art Fair, c/o Connaught Brown, London
- 1997 Animals in Art, Harris Museum & Art Gallery, Preston (hosted by Earl & Countess of Derby, curated by Dr Lindsay Stainton); travelled to Royal Pavilion, Brighton; and Sotheby’s London (hosted by Lord Hartington)
- 1994 Northern Graduates, Royal College of Art, London
- Editioned Art by Heidi Lee
- Ralph Lauren Magazine (Americana Collection)
- MS Magazine (Denmark)
- Ibyen (Denmark)
- By Copenhagen
- Art Daily
- Josh Spear
- El Pais
- Bloomberg Press
- Art Info
- Dave White (requires Flash)
- Artbeat (2010).  "New York Art Beat", May 2010
- Independent (2011). [http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/features/dave-white-americana--picture-preview-2266335.html "The Independent", Americana Preview, April 2011, Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "The" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page). Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "The" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- Press (2008), Bloomberg Press