|Studio album by Joan Baez|
|Recorded||CBS Studios, Nashville, September 1968|
|Joan Baez chronology|
Baez's then husband, David Harris, a country music fan, was about to be imprisoned for draft resistance, and she recorded the album as a gift to him. It was recorded during the same sessions as Baez's previous release of Bob Dylan songs, Any Day Now.
The cover sketch is a drawing of David Harris by Joan Baez.
In his Allmusic review, music critic Bruce Eder wrote of the album "the singing and playing still hold up. Baez also sets aside some of her occasional stridency here, in favor of a more relaxed performance that shows her in the most engaging manner of her career... David's Album has transcended its origins in part because of the sheer range of material on it... David Harris is long since out of jail, and he and Baez parted, but it's still an excellent album."
- "If I Knew" (Nina Dusheck, Pauline Marden)
- "Rock Salt and Nails" (Bruce Utah Phillips)
- "Glad Bluebird of Happiness" (Darryl Skrabak)
- "Green, Green Grass of Home" (Curly Putman)
- "Will the Circle be Unbroken" (Charles H. Gabriel, Ada R. Habershon)
- "The Tramp on the Street" (Traditional)
- "Poor Wayfaring Stranger" (Traditional)
- "Just a Closer Walk With Thee" (Traditional)
- "Hickory Wind" (Gram Parsons, Bob Buchanan)
- "My Home's Across the Blue Ridge Mountains" (A.P. Carter, Tom Ashley)
- "How Can I Miss You" (Dan Hicks)
- "The Last Thing on My Mind" (Tom Paxton)
- Joan Baez – vocals, guitar
- Fred Carter, Jr. – mandolin
- Pete Drake – pedal steel guitar
- Johnny Gimble – fiddle
- Roy Huskey, Jr. – bass
- Tommy Jackson – fiddle
- Jerry Kennedy – guitar
- Jerry Reed – guitar
- Harold Bradley – guitar, dobro
- Hargus "Pig" Robbins – piano
- Harold Rugg – guitar, dobro
- Grady Martin – guitar
- Buddy Spicher – fiddle
- Norbert Putnam – bass
- Kenny Buttrey – drums
|Canada Top Albums/CDs (RPM)||33|
|US Billboard 200||36|
|France (SNEP)||81,800 *|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Eder, Bruce. "David's Album > Review". Allmusic. Retrieved August 4, 2011.
- "Top RPM Albums: Issue 6061". RPM. Library and Archives Canada.
- "Joan Baez Chart History (Billboard 200)". Billboard.
- "French album certifications – Joan Baez – David's album" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique.