David Lascelles, 8th Earl of Harewood
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Earl of Harewood
|Preceded by||George Lascelles|
|Born||21 October 1950|
Orme Square, Bayswater, London, England
David Henry George Lascelles, 8th Earl of Harewood (born 21 October 1950), is a British hereditary peer and film and television producer. He is the first cousin, once removed, of Queen Elizabeth II, the great-grandson of King George V and is 56th in line to the British throne. From his birth in 1950 until he succeeded his father in July 2011, he was known by the courtesy title Viscount Lascelles.
Lord Harewood was born at his parents' London house, 2 Orme Square, Bayswater, London, the eldest son of the 7th Earl of Harewood and his first wife, Marion Stein. He was baptised at All Saints' Church, Harewood. His father was a first cousin of Queen Elizabeth II. His godparents were The Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh (later Queen Elizabeth II), his great-grandmother Queen Mary, The Viscountess Boyne, Benjamin Britten and his uncle Gerald Lascelles. At the time of his birth, he was 13th in line to the throne.
On 12 February 1979 at St. Mary's Church, Paddington, London, he married Margaret Rosalind Messenger (born 15 April 1948 in Cheltenham), daughter of Edgar Frank Messenger and Margaret Alice Black: they were divorced in 1989. At one time, she was employed as a laboratory assistant at the University of Bristol. Their children are:
- Lady Emily Tsering Shard (born 23 November 1975 in Bath), obtained Royal Consent to marry from the Privy Council on 12 February 2008. She married Matthew Shard. Lady Emily and her husband are the parents of twins, Isaac and Ida (born 2009), and Otis (born 2011).
- The Hon. Benjamin George Lascelles (born 19 September 1978 in Bath), a conservationist. Although he was Lord Harewood's eldest son, he is unable to inherit his father's titles as his parents were not married at the time of his birth. He obtained Royal Consent from the Privy Council to marry Colombian Carolina Vélez Robledo on 18 April 2009 at Harewood House. The couple have a son, Mateo, born in January 2013.
- Alexander Edgar Lascelles, Viscount Lascelles (born 13 May 1980 in Bath). He is a chef and heir-apparent to the earldom. He has a son, Leo Cyrus Anthony Lascelles (born 22 March 2008), by his ex-girlfriend Laleh Yeganegy (born 1980). Married Annika Reed (born September 1984) on 18 August 2017 at Kew Gardens, London. Their daughter Ivy was born in October 2018. 
- The Hon. Edward David Lascelles (born 19 November 1982 in Bath). Edward Lascelles, obtained royal consent to marry his long-term girlfriend, Sophie Cartlidge, on 2 August 2014.
On 11 March 1990, he married Diane Jane Howse (born 9 November 1956 in Leafield).
The Earl of Harewood is also an accomplished movie and television producer.
|1981||The Return of the Inca||Cinematographer|
|1984||Tibet: A Buddhist Trilogy||Cinematographer/Producer|
|1984||People Show (TV Short)||Producer|
|1986||Mae'n Talu Withe (TV Movie)||Producer|
|1986||Zastrozzi: A Romance (TV Mini-Series)||Producer (4 Episodes)|
|1988||Star Trap (TV Movie)||Associate Producer|
|1990-1991||Inspector Morse (TV series)||Producer (9 Episodes)|
|1993||Screen One||Producer (1 Episode)|
|1995||Richard III||Line Producer|
|1996||The Fortunes and Misfortunes of Moll Flanders||Producer|
|1996||The Making of Moll Flanders (TV Movie Documentary)||Himself|
|1998||The Wisdom of Crocodiles||Producer|
|1999||Second Sight (TV Movie)||Producer|
|2000||Second Sight (TV series)||Executive Producer|
|2002||Daddy's Girl (TV Movie)||Producer|
|2002||The John Thaw Story (TV Special Documentary)||Himself|
|2013||Carved with Love: The Genius of British Woodwork (TV Mini-Series Documentary)||Himself - Earl of Harewood|
Styles of address
- 1950–2011: Viscount Lascelles
- 2011–: The Right Honourable The Earl of Harewood
|Ancestors of David Lascelles, 8th Earl of Harewood|
- "Person Page". www.thepeerage.com. Retrieved 2018-12-07.
- "Christening At Harewood (1951)". British Pathé. YouTube. 13 April 2014. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- "Descendants of King Christian IX of Denmark". Hein's Royal Genealogy Page. Retrieved 16 May 2018.
- "Council List February 2009". Privy Council. 11 February 2009. Archived from the original on 3 November 2010.
- "Royal Wedding Staged at Harewood House". Yorkshire Evening Post. 21 April 2009. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- Walker, Tim (16 May 2014). "Viscount Lascelles, 53rd in line to the the throne, takes a job in the kitchen". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
- "The Earl of Harewood". The Daily Telegraph. 11 July 2011.
- "David Henry George Lascelles, 8th Earl of Harewood - Person - National Portrait Gallery". www.npg.org.uk. Retrieved 2018-12-07.
- RootsAndLeaves.com, Genealogy and Family History – Lascelles (Harewood) Family
- thePeerage.com, Person Page – 10159
|Lines of succession|
| Line of succession to the British throne
grandson of Mary, daughter of George V
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
| Earl of Harewood
11 July 2011 – present