David Abrahams (businessman)
- For other people called David Abrahams, see the David Abrahams navigation page
Abrahams was born in Newcastle upon Tyne as the only child in a strongly political family. His father Bennie Abrahams was a Labour councillor for the Monkchester ward of Newcastle City Council, and in 1981/2 Lord Mayor of Newcastle.
He faced high-profile media accusations in 2007 that he had illegally channelled £630,000 in donations to the Labour Party, by channeling the donations through four different individuals. The Donorgate scandal put pressure on then Prime Minister Gordon Brown. Abrahams was subsequently cleared of any wrongdoing.
The BBC spotlighted Abrahams in their 'Political Lives' series, detailing his life's work. In the BBC interview footage he reveals that "I've been active politically all my life, still am and still taking an active interest in Labour - these things don't go away. But it's not the be all and end all, being in the Commons - people have still got the qualities, got the skills, still got the talent and use them in different directions."
- http://www2.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?r=188215095&d=bmd_1390257354. http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=hJc8afOZV0QC&pg=PA8&dq=abrahams,+david+martin&hl=en&sa=X&ei=VIMXU6LuEYabtAbS9IGgDw&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=abrahams%2C%20david%20martin&f=false The Palgrave Dictionary of Anglo-Jewish History (2011), p. 8. Company House records
- Bright, Martin (January 14, 2011). "Abrahams in bid to broker peace deal". The Jewish Chronicle.
- Alex Hunt (17 February 2014). "Political Lives: David Abrahams". BBC. Retrieved 2014-02-26.
- Guardian profile
- "Abrahams makes proxy donor claim". BBC News. 1 December 2007.
- BBC News Profile of David Abrahams
- Winnett, Robert (29 Nov 2007). "Hunt for 'mystery benefactor' in Gordon Brown's donations scandal". The Telegraph.
- Wintour, Patrick (28 April 2008). "Police clear donor Abrahams". The Guardian.
- Hunt, Alex (17 February 2014). "Political Lives: David Abrahams". BBC. Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- "Royal United Services Institute for Defence and Security Studies Council". RUSI.
- "Labour donor David Abrahams' gift to the north-east". Guardian. 31 January 2010.