February 11, 1949 |
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Central Michigan University
David Agema (born February 11, 1949) is a politician from the U.S. state of Michigan. Presently a member of the Republican National Committee and the chairman of the Top Gun Republican political action committee, he is a former member of the Michigan House of Representatives. Agema, formerly a commercial pilot for American Airlines, is a Vietnam Era veteran. He currently resides in Grandville, Michigan.
Early Life and Education
Agema was born in Grand Rapids, Michigan, on February 11, 1949. He received a Bachelor of Arts from Calvin College in 1971 and an M.B.A. from Central Michigan University in 1975. He served as a fighter pilot in the United States Air Force during the Vietnam War. In 1978, he joined the Air National Guard, retiring as a lieutenant colonel. Agema then worked for American Airlines and later as a business consultant.
Agema served three terms (the constitutional limit) in the Michigan House of Representatives, from 2007 to 2013, representing parts of the Grand Rapids area. He was elected at the 2012 Michigan Republican State Convention to the Republican National Committee, defeating incumbent Saul Anuzis.
In 2013, he faced calls to resign from the Republican National Committee after he posted extracts from an article entitled "Everyone Should Know These Statistics On Homosexuals" which claimed homosexuals lived a "filthy lifestyle", were responsible for 50 percent of U.S. murders and that many are paedophiles. Agema was rebuked by RNC chairman Reince Priebus, who drew a distinction between Republican policies on gay rights and the language used in Agema's post, adding "all human beings deserve to be treated with dignity and respect".
|2012 MIGOP State Convention – Republican National Committeeman (19 May 2012)|
|2010 General Election – 74th District State Representative (02 November 2010)|
|Libertarian||R. J. Stevens||773||2.12%|
|2008 General Election – 74th District State Representative (04 November 2008)|
|2006 General Election – 74th District State Representative (07 November 2006)|
|2006 Republican Primary – 74th District State Representative (08 August 2006)|
William Van Regenmorter
|Michigan State Representative, 74th House District
January 2007 – December 2012
|Party political offices|
|Republican National Committeeman from Michigan
August 2012 – present
He has been married for more than forty years to his wife Barb. They have three children and seven grandchildren.
- Dave Agema's official website
- Warikoo, Niraj (January 22, 2014). "Agema lawsuit against Muslim-American group tossed out by federal judge". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved January 23, 2014.
- Republican Don Young forced to apologise for 'wetbacks' comment, The Guardian, 31 March 2013, retrieved 31 March 2013
- Showdown In Motown
- Michigan Department of State, 74th House District General Election Results, November 02, 2010
- Michigan Department of State, 74th House District General Election Results, November 04, 2008
- Michigan Department of State, 74th House District General Election Results, November 07, 2006
- Michigan Department of State, 74th House District Primary Election Results, August 08, 2006