David Alan Harvey
|David Alan Harvey|
David Alan Harvey in Havana (2017)
June 6, 1944 |
San Francisco, California
David Alan Harvey (June 6, 1944) is an American photographer. Harvey is based in North Carolina and New York City and has been a full member of the Magnum Photos agency since 1997. He has photographed extensively for National Geographic magazine, and in 1978 was named Magazine Photographer of the Year by the National Press Photographers Association. Harvey is publisher and editor of Burn Magazine, an online publication featuring the work of emerging photographers.
Life and work
Harvey was born in San Francisco, California and raised in Virginia. He began photographing at age 11. He graduated from the Graduate School of Journalism, University of Missouri, in 1969, and worked for National Geographic magazine. He was named Magazine Photographer of the Year by the National Press Photographers Association in 1978. He joined Magnum Photos as a nominee in 1993 and became a full member in 1997.
Harvey's first book, Tell It Like It Is, self-published in 1967, documented the lives of a black family living in Norfolk, Virginia. His two major books, Cuba and Divided Soul, are based on the Spanish cultural migration into the Americas, and Living Proof deals with hip-hop culture. Martin Parr and Gerry Badger say of Harvey's book (Based on a True Story) that it "takes its place as one of the best of the more extravagantly designed photobooks at a time when extravagant design is making a comeback".
He is founder and editor of Burn, a website featuring the work of emerging photographers.
- 1978: Magazine Photographer of the Year, National Press Photographers Association
- 2005: Photographer of the Year, PMDA (PhotoImaging Manufacturers and Distributors Association)
- Tell It Like It Is. Self-published, 1967.
- Cuba. Washington, DC: National Geographic Society, 2000. ISBN 978-84-8298-196-3.
- Divided Soul. London: Phaidon, 2003. ISBN 978-0-7148-4313-1.
- Living Proof. Brooklyn, NY: powerHouse, 2007. ISBN 978-1-57687-403-5.
- (Based on a True Story). Self-published / BurnBooks, 2012. First edition of 600 copies. Also available in handmade book and handmade box, edition of 5 copies; handmade collector box with signed book and print, edition of 15 copies; and magazine version, edition of 5000.
- "Biography". Magnum Photos. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- Photographer David Alan Harvey's Biography, Photos, Pictures, Wallpapers - National Geographic
- NPPA: Honors and Recognitions - Pictures of the Year Competition Archived May 11, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- Martin Parr; Gerry Badger (2014). The Photobook: A History, Volume III. London: Phaidon. p. 141. ISBN 978-0-7148-6677-2.
- Sean O'Hagan (14 December 2009). "The mafia and me: Mimi Mollica's portraits of Sicilian society". The Guardian. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "(based on a true story)". Burn. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "The Magazine of (based on a true story)". Burn. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- Official website
- Harvey's portfolio at Magnum Photos
- Burn Magazine for emerging photographers curated by David Alan Harvey
- Behind the scenes with David Alan Harvey as he shoots the final chapter of his book RIO
- 2011 Sem Presser Lecture: David Alan Harvey from World Press Photo (video)
- True Originals: David Alan Harvey at IMDB