David B. Audretsch
|David B. Audretsch|
|Born||November 15, 1954|
|Alma mater||University of Wisconsin–Madison|
|Awards||2001 Global Award for Entrepreneurship Research, 2011 Schumpeter Prize|
|Information at IDEAS / RePEc|
David Bruce Audretsch (born November 15, 1954) is an American Economist. He is a distinguished professor at the School of Public and Environmental Affairs (SPEA) at Indiana University and also serves as director of the SPEA International Office, Ameritech Chair of Economic Development, and director of SPEA's Institute for Development Strategies (IDS). He is co-founder and co-editor of Small Business Economics: An Entrepreneurship Journal, and also works as a consultant to the United Nations, the World Bank, the OECD, the EU Commission, and the U.S. Department of State. He was the Director of the Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group at the Max Planck Institute of Economics in Germany from 2003-2009.
Audretsch is a member of the advisory board to a number of international research and policy institutes, including chair of the German Institute for Economic Research in Berlin, chair of the Foundation for the Promotion of German Science (Stifterverband für die Deutsche Wissenschaft), New York Academy of Sciences, the Swedish Entrepreneurship Forum, and the Jackstädt Centre for Entrepreneurship in Wuppertal, Germany.
He has received honorary doctorate degrees from Jonköping University in Sweden and University of Augsburg in Germany. He is an honorary professor of Industrial Economics and Entrepreneurship at the WHU-Otto Beisheim School of Management in Germany. In addition, Audretsch serves as a visiting professor at the King Saud University in Saudi Arabia, honorary professor at the University of Jena in Germany, and is a research fellow of the Centre for Economic Policy Research in London. He was awarded the 2011 Schumpeter Prize from the University of Wuppertal and the 2001 Global Award for Entrepreneurship Research by the Swedish Foundation for Small Business Research.
Audretsch's research focuses on the links between entrepreneurship, government policy, innovation, economic development, and global competitiveness. His articles, mainly in the fields of industrial organization and innovation, number more than 100 and have been published in journals such as The American Economic Review, the European Economic Review, The Review of Economics and Statistics, the Schmalenbach Business Review, and the International Journal of Industrial Organization.
- The Seven Secrets of Germany, New York City: Oxford University Press, (2015) 
- Everything in its Place: Entrepreneurship and The Strategic Management of Cities, Regions and States, New York: Oxford University Press, (2015) 
- The Handbook of Local Competitiveness, New York: Oxford University Press (2015) 
- Public Policy in the Entrepreneurial Society, Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar Publishing (2013) 
- Creating Competitiveness: Entrepreneurship and Innovation Policies for Growth, (with M.L. Walshok). Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar Publishing (2013) 
- Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy, (with Z. Acs and R. Strom). New York: Cambridge University Press (2012) 
- Highly Commended Paper Award (2013) and Citation for Excellence Award (2012), Emerald Literati Network 
- Eighth Most Prominent Economist (2009), Handelsblatt Economic Ranking, Germany 
- Distinguished Professorship (2008), Indiana University 
- One of the 60 Most Influential Economists of All Time in the 2007 book Die Wichtigsten Wirtschaftsdenker by erla Linß (Frankfurter Rundschau) 
- 21st Most-Cited Scholar in Economics and Business, January 1996 - June 2006, Thompson Essential Science Indicators 
- "David Audretsch". School of Public and Environmental Affairs. Retrieved 2016-09-13.
- "David Audretsch".
- "The Seven Secrets of Germany".
- "Everything in Its Place".
- "The Oxford Handbook of Local Competitiveness".
- "Public Policy in the Entrepreneurial Society".
- Audretsch, David; Walshok, Mary (28 February 2013). Walshok, Mary Lindenstein, ed. "Creating Competitiveness: Entrepreneurship and Innovation Policies for Growth". Edward Elgar Pub – via Amazon.
- Acs, Zoltan J.; Audretsch, David B.; Strom, Robert J., eds. (2 February 2009). "Entrepreneurship, Growth, and Public Policy". Cambridge University Press – via Amazon.
Institute for Development Strategies: https://spea.indiana.edu/institute-development-strategies/home.html