David B. Norman
David Bruce Norman (born 20 June 1952 in the United Kingdom) is a British paleontologist, currently the main curator of vertebrate paleontology at the Sedgwick Museum, Cambridge University. For many years until 2013, Norman has also been the Sedgwick Museum's director.
Life and career
Norman is a fellow at Christ's College, Cambridge where he teaches geology in the Natural Sciences tripos. A member of the Palaeontological Association, he has studied Iguanodon and also has participated in the studies and scientific surveys included in the dinosaur work The Dinosauria (2nd edition, 2004). The species epithet of Equijubus normani was named in honour of him.
In 2017, Dr Norman was one of three British palaeontologists who proposed a radical new hypothesis for early dinosaur evolution and interrelationships in a paper in the journal Nature. In this work, Dr Matthew Grant Baron, Dr David Bruce Norman and Prof. Paul Michael Barrett (2017) suggested that Ornithischia and Theropoda were closely related as part of a new clade that they named Ornithoscelida.
He also possesses a keen interest in rugby, and he regularly referees for Cambridge University and District Rugby Referees Society (CUDRRS), earning himself the nickname 'Refosaurus Rex'.
- The Poster Book of Dinosaurs, Hodder Children's Books, 1988 (illustrations by John Sibbick)
- The Humongous Book of Dinosaurs, Publisher: Stewart, Tabori and Chang (April 1997) ; ISBN 978-1556705960
- The Big Book of Dinosaurs, Publisher: Welcome Books (April 2001) ; ISBN 978-0941807487
- Dinosaurs Sticker Book, Usborne Sticker Books, 2010, ISBN 978-1409520610
Popular science books
- Spotter's Guide to Dinosaurs & Other Prehistoric Animals, Usborne Publishing, London, 1980 (illustrations by Bob Hersey)
- When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth, Simon & Schuster, New York, 1985 (illustrations by John Sibbick)
- The Age of Dinosaurs, Hodder Wayland, November 1985
- Dinosaurs!, E.D.C. Publishing, December 1985 (illustrations by Ruth Thomson and Bob Hersey)
- Dinosaur, co-authored with Angela Milner, Dorling Kindersley Eyewitness Books, London, 1989
- Dinosaur!, Publisher: John Wiley & Sons Inc., 1991, ISBN 978-0-13-218140-2 (the official companion to A&E's 1991 four-part television series hosted by Walter Cronkite)
- Prehistoric Life: the rise of the vertebrates, John Wiley & Sons, New York, December 1994 (illustrations by John Sibbick)
- The Smithsonian Handbook to Dinosaurs and Other Prehistoric Animals, co-authored with Hazel Richardson, Dorling Kindersley, 2003, ISBN 978-0-7894-9361-3
Scientific books and surveys
- The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs, Salamander Books, 1985 (illustrations by John Sibbick)
- Kenneth Carpenter, ed. (2001). "Scelidosaurus: The Earliest Complete Dinosaur". The armored dinosaurs. Indiana University Press. ISBN 978-0-253-33964-5.
- Basal Ornithischia and Basal Thyreophora (co-authored with Lawrence Witmer and David Weishampel), Basal Ornithopoda (co-authored with Hans-Dieter Sues, Lawrence Witmer and Rodolfo Coria), Basal Iguanodontia (co-authored with David B. Weishampel, Halszka Osmólska and Peter Dodson) ; in The Dinosauria, 2nd edition, 2004 (first edition was published in 1990), edited by David B. Weishampel, Halszka Osmólska and Peter Dodson, University of California Press, ISBN 0-520-24209-2
- Dinosaurs: A Very Short Introduction, Oxford University Press, December 2005, ISBN 0-19-280419-7
- "The phylogeny of the ornithischian dinosaurs", Journal of Systematic Palaeontology (2008), 6:1-40 Cambridge University Press
Crew member, as a scientific advisor
- Walking with Dinosaurs (six-part TV series documentary, BBC, 1999, scientific advisor for the episode "Giant of the Skies", credited as Dr. David Norman)
- Prehistoric Planet (a re-version of Walking with Dinosaurs and Walking with Beasts, by Discovery Channel and NBC, 2002, scientific advisor for the episode "Sky King", credited as Dr. David Norman)
On screen, as himself
- Dinosaur! (four-part TV series documentary, hosted by Walter Cronkite, A&E, 1991, Norman appears in all four episodes: "The Tale of a Tooth", "The Tale of a Bone", "The Tale of an Egg" and "The Tale of a Feather")
- The Dinosaurs! (television documentary miniseries produced by PBS in 1992)
- Dinosaurs Myths & Reality (TV movie documentary, 1995, Produced by Castle Communications and Cromwell Productions Ltd.)
- The Making of Walking with Dinosaurs (TV movie documentary about the series Walking with Dinosaurs, 1999, "making of" produced and directed by Jasper James for the BBC)
- Lost Worlds, Vanished Lives (TV series documentary, BBC, 1989, Norman is thanked in the episode titled "Dinosaur")
- Charles Darwin and the Tree of Life (TV movie documentary, BBC, 2009, Norman is acknowledged as Dr. David Norman)
- David Norman's page at the Internet Movie Database
- Sedgwick Museum website (staff)
- You, Luo, Shubin, Witmer, Tang and Tang (2003). "The earliest-known duck-billed dinosaur from deposits of late Early Cretaceous age in northwest China and hadrosaurid evolution." Cretaceous Research, 24: 347-353.
- Baron, M.G., Norman, D.B., and Barrett, P.M. (2017). A new hypothesis of dinosaur relationships and early dinosaur evolution. Nature, 543: 501–506. doi:10.1038/nature21700