David Gordon Blackbourn (born Yorkshire, England 1949) is Cornelius Vanderbilt Distinguished Chair of History at Vanderbilt University, where he teaches modern German and European history. Prior to arriving at Vanderbilt, Blackbourn was Coolidge Professor of History at Harvard University and served as director of the university's Minda de Gunzburg Center for European Studies from 2007-2012. He is on the editorial board of the journal Past & Present; the academic advisory board of the Institute for European History, Mainz; and the advisory board of the Friends of the German Historical Institute, Washington. He was chair of the Harvard History Department in 1998–1999 and 2000–2002, and was president of the Conference Group on Central European History of the American Historical Association (since 2012 called Central European History Society) in 2003–2004.
After completing his dissertation at Jesus College, Cambridge, Blackbourn became a lecturer at Queen Mary College in 1976 before joining the faculty of Birkbeck College in 1979. In 1992 he moved to the U.S. becoming a professor at Harvard. He was awarded a Guggenheim Fellowship in 1994. In 2007, he was elected a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- Class, Religion, and Local Politics in Wilhelmine Germany (1980)
- The Peculiarities of German History (with G. Eley, 1984) (online)
- Populists and Patricians (1987)
- The German Bourgeoisie (co-edited with R. Evans, 1991)
- Marpingen: Apparitions of the Virgin Mary in Nineteenth-Century Germany (1994)
- The Long Nineteenth Century: A History of Germany, 1780–1918 (1997)
- The Conquest of Nature: Water, Landscape, and the Making of Modern Germany (2006).
- "Book of Members, 1780–2010: Chapter B" (PDF). American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved July 26, 2011.
- "Index entry". FreeBMD. ONS. Retrieved 5 September 2015.
- "David Blackbourn CV" (PDF). Harvard University History Department. Retrieved July 26, 2011.
- "David Balckbourn". John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation. Retrieved July 26, 2011.
- Faculty page at the Vanderbilt University Department of History
- "History of the Historian": Profile of Blackbourn in Harvard Magazine