This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Brevik at GDC 2016
February 14, 1968|
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
David Brevik (born February 14, 1968) is an American video game designer, producer and programmer who served as the co-founder and president of Blizzard North. He is best known for the critically acclaimed Diablo franchise. Currently he serves as game designer and founder of his independent studio, Graybeard Games.
Following his position as lead technical director at Iguana Entertainment, Brevik left to form Condor / Blizzard North, holding a position as president on the company from September 1993 to 2003. GameSpot named him as 1996's fourth most influential person in computer gaming for his role in the inception and development of Diablo.
Brevik resigned from Blizzard and co-founded Flagship Studios (in 2003) as well as Ping0 (in 2006), a sister company to Flagship Studios. After the company dissolved it was announced that he was appointed new creative director for Turbine and its new West coast studio.
In 2009, David Brevik began at Gazillion Entertainment in San Mateo, California working in the Gargantuan Studio. In 2011, Gargantuan became Secret Identity Studios and David Brevik was named president and chief operating officer of Gazillion Entertainment. Eventually he was promoted to Chief Executive Officer of Gazillion Entertainment in 2013. He left the company to pursue "other opportunities" on January 6, 2016. As of October 18, 2016, Brevik has been working as an adviser on the Chinese release of Path of Exile for Grinding Gear Games.
- Gordo 106 (1993) - Programmer
- Aero the Acro-Bat (1993) - Programmer
- Justice League Task Force (1995) - Programmer
- Diablo (1996) - Lead Programmer, Senior Designer
- Diablo II (2000) - Project and Design Lead
- Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (2002) - Additional Game Review
- Hellgate: London (2007) - Game Visionary, Lead Programmer, Story Editor
- Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited (2009) - Creative Director
- Marvel Heroes (2013) - Creator
- The Nonomancer (2016) - Creator
- It Lurks Below (2018) - Creator
- Craddock 2013, Act I: No Experience Necessary, Chapter 1: Silicon and String Bikinis.
- "The Most Influential People in Computer Gaming". gamespot.com. Archived from the original on 5 April 2010. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- McWhertor, Michael. "Marvel Heroes creator David Brevik leaves developer Gazillion". polygon.com. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- "Gazillion Entertainment Names Former Blizzard Executive As President and COO". FreshNews. Archived from the original on 2011-09-29. Retrieved 2011-01-13.
- "David Brevik - Linkedin".
- Futter, Mike (January 8, 2016). "Diablo Creator David Brevik Steps Down As CEO Of Marvel Heroes Studio Gazillion". Game Informer. Retrieved January 9, 2016.
- "Diablo designer David Brevik joins the Path of Exile team".
- McWhertor, Michael (January 31, 2018). "Diablo creator David Brevik is back with a new game, It Lurks Below". Polygon. Retrieved May 5, 2018.
- Craddock, David L. (October 27, 2013). Stay Awhile and Listen: How Two Blizzards Unleashed Diablo and Forged a Video-Game Empire. Digital Monument Press. ISBN 978-0-9884099-0-3. Retrieved September 19, 2015.