David Bruce (brewer)
David Bruce circa 2008
|Born||Alexander David Michael Bruce
|Known for||Firkin Pub Chain, Bruce's Brewery (Founded in 1979) & West Berkshire Brewery|
Alexander David Michael Bruce (born July 1948 in Shimla, India) is an entrepreneur and has been involved in the international brewing and leisure industry for over 49 years, in a career that has covered both production and retailing.
Bruce began his career in 1966 brewing with both Courage Brewery and Theakston Brewery for six years. This was immediately followed by six years licensed retail experience with Charram Ltd and The Star Group of Companies.
Bruce went on to found the Firkin Pub chain and Bruce's Brewery, which started as a single pub in Elephant and Castle, London, in 1979. Peter Austin oversaw his choice of kit and the design for its small basement brewery.
The chain grew to 12 pubs by the late 1980s; at which time Bruce sold the Firkins to European Leisure; the chain would grow to 170 sites under a succession of owners until it was bought by Punch Taverns in 1999 and disbanded.
Bruce is Chairman of Country Food & Dining, a multi-site farm shop business.
Bruce was Non-Executive Director of The Capital Pub Company PLC, which he co-founded with Clive Watson. The Capital Pub Company PLC raised over £15million under the EIS and was admitted to AIM in June 2007. It was acquired by Greene King for £93m in Jul7 2011.
In October 2011, again with Clive Watson, Bruce co-founded The City Pub Co (East) and The City Pub Co West raising £28m in EIS funds.
Bruce is also chairman of The West Berkshire Brewery PLC.
Following the sale of the Firkin pubs and Bruce's Brewery, Bruce, together with his wife, Louise, set up The Bruce Trust and Bruce Foundation to provide canal boats and motorhomes for holidays for the disabled.
- Dominic Walsh (2013). "Beer pioneer David Bruce hasn't lost taste for buying his ale by the cask | The Times". thetimes.co.uk. Retrieved 4 September 2013.
- "Peter Austin is dead". Boak & Bailey. Retrieved 1 February 2014.
- "What Happened to the Firkin Pubs | Good Beer, Good Pubs". goodbeergoodpubs.co.uk. 2013. Retrieved 4 September 2013.
- Phil Mellows (2013). "The Big Interview: David Bruce, City Pub Company". morningadvertiser.co.uk. Retrieved 4 September 2013.
- Gerrard, Neil (2013). "City Pub Company acquires three pubs and makes two appointments - Caterer and Hotelkeeper". catererandhotelkeeper.co.uk. Retrieved 4 September 2013.
- Thomas, Nathalie. "Pub company raises £10m for expansion - Telegraph". The Daily Telegraph. London: TMG. ISSN 0307-1235. OCLC 49632006. Retrieved 4 September 2013.
- Mellows, Phil (2013). "The Big Interview: David Bruce, City Pub Company". morningadvertiser.co.uk. Retrieved 4 September 2013.