Bruckner on September 6, 2009
|Born||1977/1978 (age 40–41)|
|Known for||The Signal, V/H/S|
David Bruckner is an American film director. With Jacob Gentry and Dan Bush, he co-wrote and co-directed The Signal (2007). He also co-wrote and directed "Amateur Night" in the horror anthology V/H/S.
Bruckner grew up in Atlanta, Georgia. His father is a police detective and his mother an emergency room nurse. He attended the University of Georgia along with A. J. Bowen and Jacob Gentry. The three would later collaborate with Dan Bush on The Signal (2007).
With Jacob Gentry and Dan Bush, Bruckner co-wrote and co-directed The Signal. The filmmakers used their connections in Atlanta to compose a crew. The concept came from a Surrealist game called exquisite corpse, in which multiple people collaborate in order to complete an art project. When Gentry was unable to contribute to the horror anthology V/H/S (2012), he suggested Bruckner, who eventually co-wrote and directed the segment "Amateur Night". Also released in 2012, his short film Talk Show addresses the torture debate in mainstream media. Bruckner was set to direct a reboot of Friday the 13th for Paramount Pictures but was reported to have left in late 2015. He is set to direct the thriller Intrusion, based on a screenplay by L. D. Goffigan. His film Southbound premiered at the 2015 Toronto International Film Festival and was picked up for distribution by the Orchard for release in 2016. In 2016, he was an executive producer on SiREN, which was based on his V/H/S segment "Amateur Night".
Awards and nominations
|The Signal||2007||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||No||segment "Crazy in Love"|
|Talk Show||2011||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||short film|
|V/H/S||2012||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||segment Amateur Night|
|Southbound||2016||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||segment The Accident|
|SiREN||2016||No||Executive||No||No||No||based on Amateur Night|
- Guerrasio, Jason (2007-01-24). "Dan Bush, David Bruckner, and Jacob Gentry, The Signal". Filmmaker. Retrieved 2014-08-12.
- Nicholson, Amy. "Mumblegore". LA Weekly. Retrieved 2014-08-12.
- Addiego, Walter (2008-02-17). "Three directors behind horror film 'Signal'". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 2014-08-12.
- Dickson, Evan (2012-01-18). "[Sundance '12]: 'V/H/S' Filmmaker David Bruckner Talks Emerging Media, 'The Signal, And 'Enter The Void' As An Influence". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved 2015-04-17.
- White, James (2015-12-03). "Prisoners writer Aaron Guzikowski tackling the new Friday The 13th". Empire. Retrieved 2015-12-03.
- Abrams, Rachel (2013-08-09). "Lava Bear, QED Team on "Intrusion"". Variety. Retrieved 2014-08-14.
- Sneider, Jeff (October 8, 2015). "The Orchard Buys Anthology Horror Movie 'Southbound' After Toronto Debut". TheWrap. Retrieved August 7, 2017.
- Erbland, Kate. "Toronto International Film Festival Reveals Midnight Madness and Vanguard Slate".
- Harvey, Dennis (2016-12-02). "Film Review: 'Siren'". Variety. Retrieved 2017-07-29.
- Maxwell, Erin (2008-10-02). "Spirit Award nominees announced". Variety. Retrieved 2014-08-12.