This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
David Michael Castain II|
August 5, 1988
Howard University (B.A.) |
Georgetown University (M.P.S.)
Howard University (Ph.D. Still Attending)
|Occupation||Entrepreneur • Philanthropist|
|Years active||2009 - present|
|Known for||Founder of David Castain And Associates and David Castain Foundation|
David Michael Castain II (born August 5, 1988), known professionally as David Castain, is an American entrepreneur and philanthropist. He is perhaps best known for leaving a life of crime to later found a marketing firm worth over $5 Million by November 2016.
David was born in Pomona Valley Hospital in Pomona, California to Debra Ross and David Castain Sr.. He joined a gang when he was in the 8th grade for protection within his community. David was kicked out of multiple high schools before attending Valley View High School, a secondary school for students who have behavioral issues or are at risk of not graduating. He ultimately graduated from Alta Loma High School. In 2006 Castain was charged with armed robbery. He decided to attend Howard University when he was serving an 8-month house arrest term following the two years he had already served behind bars.
Castain began promoting parties while attending Howard University in Washington, DC. He gained national attention after he organized events with Sean Combs, Drake, LeBron James and other celebrities. In 2012 David was hired by Grey Goose where he served as their Director of Social Marketing. Following his seventh year of leaving a life of crime, he founded a nonprofit organization, the David Castain Foundation. In May 2013 David graduated from Howard University with a Bachelors in Speech and Applied Communication and a minor in sociology. He was the commencement speaker at his graduation ceremony Upon graduating, he founded a marketing firm dubbed David Castain & Associates. The company obtained clients in various disciplines from Chipotle and Uber to a Berkshire Hathaway subsidiary, Cort Furniture. In 2014 he graduated from Georgetown University where he was the recipient of the Golden Bulldog Award for being the 'Most Creative' student in the program. Castain returned to his alma mater, Howard University in August of that same year to pursue his Ph.D. in sociology, with a concentration in medical sociology and social inequality. Castain is a member of the Kappa Alpha Psi Greek fraternal organization.
|2013||Fox 5 DC||Himself||Episode: "Most Successful Black Entrepreneurs in Washington, DC"|
|2016||Ink, Paper, Scissors||BET original series. Episode: "BET Awards Red Carpet 2016"|
- Bullock, David. "Young and Hungry". Huffington Post. Retrieved 30 November 2016.
- Brown, Tia. "When Cupid Calls". Ebony Magazine. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- Sholley, Diana. "From poverty to PhD, former Pomona gang member establishes philanthropic foundation". Inland Valley Daily Bulletin. Retrieved 28 May 2015.
- Edmonds, Chloe. "Howard Student's Journey From 'Menace' To Glory". District Chronicles. Retrieved 31 December 2012.
- "Top 30 Under 30 Distinguished HBCU-Educated Scholars". HBCU Buzz. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- Kormanik, Beth. "Luxury Branding". Biz Bash. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- "Grey Goose: The proof of social media". Washington City Paper. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- Umeh, Maureen. "David Castain Talks About His Foundation & The Importance of Education with FOX 5 DC". Fox 5 DC. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- Castain, David. "2013 Howard University Graduation Speech". Info Musik. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "David Castain and Associates Company Profile". Data Fox. Retrieved 18 September 2016.
- "2014 Golden Bulldog Award Recipient for Most Creative". Georgetown University. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- Barnwell, Devin. "Prominent HU Alum Promotes His Foundation With A Sweet Treat". The Hilltop. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- "Theta Tau Lineage". Theta Tau Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi. Retrieved 8 April 2014.
- "The Cast of Ink Paper Scissors Gets David Castain Ready For The Red Carpet". BET. Retrieved 17 September 2016.