David Charles Manners
David Charles Manners
David Charles Manners (born 1965) is a British writer published in four languages. He is a representative for the charity Diversity Role Models, and the co-founder of Sarvashubhamkara, a charity that provides medical care, education and human contact to socially excluded individuals and communities on the Indian subcontinent, most of whom are affected by the stigma of leprosy.
Education and career
David worked as a theatre designer, primarily with Adventures in Motion Pictures. His designs included Matthew Bourne's Infernal Galop (1989; revived 1992), Deadly Serious (1992), The Percys of Fitzrovia (1992) and Drip (BBC's Dance for the Camera, 1993). 2012 saw Infernal Galop revived by Bourne's New Adventures, as part of the 20th anniversary celebrations of the founding of his companies.
Awarded a BA Music (Sound & Image) degree from Newton Park College, Bath, he went on to train in Physical Medicine and subsequently worked for thirteen years as Physical Therapist with musicians, conductors and singers at Glyndebourne Festival Opera.
David writes in French and was commissioned to provide an article for the publication Memoire d'Opale in 2018. Le cœur si doux et si tendre - Lettres d’amour interdites à Montreuil-sur-Mer describes the set of secret love letters he discovered at the back of a family diary dating from the Franco-Prussian War. 
David spent 2011 in collaboration with Jerwood Award-winning choreographer and director Ben Wright, creating text to inspire a new work for the dance company bgroup, which was taken on a national tour in the UK.
His second book, Limitless Sky, was released by Rider (imprint), a Random House division, in June 2014. It has subsequently been published in translation, in both Lithuanian and Turkish.  Lithuania's television channel tv3 recommended Limitless Sky in its 20 Best Books for the Summer in 2015. The book is referenced by the OED for the use of the term faggot.
In 2015, David was interviewed for inclusion in the schools handbook How to Create Kind Schools by Jenny Hulme (published by Jessica Kingsley), to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the national anti-bullying charity Kidscape.
- Pugliaro, Georgio; Silvana Ottolenghi (1993). Opera '93 - Annuario dell=opera lirica in Italia (in Italian). Torino, Italy: EDT. p. 396. ISBN 88-7063-182-6.
- "In the Shadow of Crows"=2009, Reportage Press
- David Charles Manners, In the Shadow of Crows: Reportage Press, London, 2009. ISBN 1-906702-06-3; ISBN 978-1-906702-06-9
- David Charles Manners, In the Shadow of Crows: Signal Books, Oxford, 2011. ISBN 1-904955-92-4
- David Charles Manners, Limitless Sky: Rider Books/Random House, London, 2014. ISBN 978-1846044458
- David Charles Manners, Himalaya Şamanı: Kuraldışı Yayınevi, Istanbul, 2014. ISBN 9789752753181
- David Charles Manners, Beribis Dangus : Vaga, Vilnius, 2014. ISBN 9785415023882