Sir David Clary
David Charles Clary
14 January 1953
Halesworth, England, United Kingdom
|Alma mater||University of Sussex (BSc)|
University of Cambridge (PhD)
|Spouse(s)||Heather Ann Clary|
Foreign Honorary Member of American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
|Institutions||IBM San Jose California. |
University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology.
University of Cambridge.
University College London.
University of Oxford.
Magdalen College Oxford.
Foreign & Commonwealth Office.
He was born in Halesworth, Suffolk, and attended Colchester Royal Grammar School from 1964 to 1971. He has a BSc (1974) from the University of Sussex and a PhD (1977) and ScD (1997) from the University of Cambridge, where he was at Corpus Christi College. He undertook post-doctoral research at IBM in San Jose, California, and at the University of Manchester.
In 1980, he was appointed lecturer at the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST). In 1983, he was appointed lecturer and then reader in theoretical chemistry at the University of Cambridge, where he was fellow and senior tutor of Magdalene College. In 1996, he was director of the Centre for Theoretical and Computational Chemistry and professor at University College London. In 2002, he moved to the University of Oxford, where he was head of the Division of Mathematical and Physical Sciences and professorial fellow of St John's College.
Clary was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society for his development of the quantum theory for chemical reactions. He is a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the American Physical Society, the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) and the Institute of Physics; Foreign Honorary Member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and a member of the International Academy of Quantum Molecular Science. He received an honorary DSc from the University of Sussex and was elected an honorary fellow of Magdalene College, Cambridge.
- "CLARY, Prof. Sir David Charles". Who's Who 2013, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 2013; online edn, Oxford University Press.(subscription required)
- "No. 61608". The London Gazette (Supplement). 11 June 2016. p. B2.
- Shan, Xiao; Burd, Timothy A. H.; Clary, David C. (2019). "New Developments in Semiclassical Transition-State Theory". The Journal of Physical Chemistry A. 123 (22): 4639–4657. Bibcode:2019JPCA..123.4639S. doi:10.1021/acs.jpca.9b01987. PMID 30969125.
- Biography at Magdalen College
- Oxford University biography
- Biography at the International Academy of Quantum Molecular Science
- Royal Society biography
| President of Magdalen College, Oxford