David Cohen Prize
The David Cohen Prize for Literature (est. 1993) is a biennial British literary award given to a writer, novelist, short-story writer, poet, essayist or dramatist in recognition of an entire body of work, written in the English language. The prize is funded by the John S. Cohen Foundation and administered by Arts Council England. The writer must be a British or Irish citizen. The winner is chosen by nomination and entries are not required. The prize is valued at £40,000.
In 2005, The David Cohen Prize incorporated the Clarissa Luard Award. The winner of the David Cohen Prize chooses the recipient of the Clarissa Luard Award, valued at £12,500 (funded by the Arts Council of England), and given to a writer under the age of 35 or an organisation that supports young writers. In 2017 Arts Council England launched the Clarissa Luard Award for Independent Publishing, managed by New Writing North, to recognise and celebrate the "adventurousness, innovative spirit and creativity" of independent literary publishing in the UK and Ireland.
List of recipients
- 1993: V. S. Naipaul
- 1995: Harold Pinter
- 1997: Muriel Spark
- 1999: William Trevor
- 2001: Doris Lessing
- 2003: Beryl Bainbridge and Thom Gunn (joint winners)
- 2005: Michael Holroyd
- 2007: Derek Mahon
- 2009: Seamus Heaney
- 2011: Julian Barnes
- 2013: Hilary Mantel
- 2015: Tony Harrison
- 2017: Tom Stoppard
- 2019: Edna O'Brien
- "David Cohen Prize". BookTrust. Retrieved 2013-03-07.
- "The David Cohen Prize for Literature". Arts Council England. 2009-05-09. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2013-03-07.
- "David Cohen Prize for Literature 2011 winner nominates The Reading Agency for Arts Council award". Arts Council England. 2011-03-18. Archived from the original on 2013-03-11. Retrieved 2013-03-07.
- Onwuemezi, Natasha. "New £10,000 award for indie publishers launches", The Bookseller, 11 May 2017.
- "Clarissa Luard Award for Independent Publishers", New Writing North.
- Flood, Alison (7 March 2013). "Hilary Mantel adds David Cohen award to Booker and Costa prizes". The Guardian. Retrieved March 8, 2013.
- Moss, Stephen (26 February 2015). "Tony Harrison: still open for business". The Guardian. Retrieved February 28, 2015.
- Flood, Alison (8 November 2017). "Tom Stoppard is 'bashful' winner of lifetime achievement award". The Guardian. Retrieved 8 November 2017.
- Doyle, Martin (2019-11-26). "Edna O'Brien wins the 'UK and Ireland Nobel award' for lifetime achievement". The Irish Times. Dublin. Retrieved 2019-11-26.
- The David Cohen Prize for Literature, Arts Council of England, official website