David Coleman (Australian politician)
|Member of the Australian Parliament
7 September 2013
|Preceded by||Daryl Melham|
5 March 1974 |
, New South Wales
|Political party||Liberal Party of Australia|
|Alma mater||University of New South Wales|
David Bernard Coleman (born 5 March 1974) is an Australian politician. He has been a Liberal member of the Australian House of Representatives, representing the Division of Banks in New South Wales, since September 2013.
Early life and education
Coleman was born in  a south-western suburb of Sydney, New South Wales. He attended primary school at Saint Thomas à Becket primary school in ; and completed his schooling at the Christian Brothers' High School, also in Lewisham. Coleman studied at the University of New South Wales, where he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws, and was president of the UNSW Student Guild in 1997.,
Before entering politics, Coleman worked for global management consulting firm McKinsey & Co, LookSmart, dStore, and since 2005, in a variety of roles for PBL Media and the Nine Network where he was the director of strategy and digital. Coleman entered Liberal preselection contests for Cook in 2007 and Bradfield in 2010; however was unsuccessful in receiving Liberal endorsement. Prior to his election to Parliament, Coleman held directorships with ninemsm Pty Liimited (2008-13), Australian News Channel Pty Limited (2008-13), and Yellow Brick Road Holdings Limited (2011-13).
At the 2013 federal election Coleman defeated the incumbent Labor member, Daryl Melham, who had held the seat for 23 years. Coleman recorded a two-party preferred swing of 3.28 per cent in his favour; and became the first non-Labor member to hold the seat since the Division of Banks was created in 1949.
Coleman is opposed to legalising same-sex marriage.
- Galinovic, Maria (11 September 2013). "Coleman eager to deliver on commitments". St George and Sutherland Shire Leader. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- "Mr David Coleman MP". Senators and Members. Parliament of Australia. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- "David Coleman Liberal for Banks". Liberal Party of Australia - New South Wales. Retrieved 7 September 2013.
- "House of Representatives: NSW: Banks". Election 2013. Australian Electoral Commission. 24 September 2013. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- Coleman, David (19 November 2013). "First speech". Hansard extract. Parliament of Australia. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- "Coalition MPs supporting same-sex marriage 'not prepared for slanging match with colleagues'". Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- "First speech". Hansard extract. Parliament of Australia. 19 November 2013.
- Coleman's OpenAustralia page
|Parliament of Australia|
|Member for Banks
|This Australian biography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|