David Collins (hurler)
|Irish name||Daithí Ó Coileáin|
|Position||Right Half Back|
17 March 1984 |
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|*Inter County team apps and scores correct as of 15:52, 22 August 2012.|
David Collins (born 17 March 1984) is an Irish hurler who currently plays as a right corner-back for the Galway senior team. He joined the team in 2004 and has been a regular member of the starting fifteen since then.
An All-Ireland medalist in the under-21 grade, Collins has been a stalwart on the Galway team for almost a decade. He has won one Leinster winners' medal, two National Hurling League winners' medals and one Vodafone Young Hurler of the Year award. He ended up as an All-Ireland runner-up on three occasions.
At club level Collins plays with the Liam Mellows club in Galway. Won a senior league with Liam Mellows in 2016 as a centre back.
Collins plays his club hurling with his local Liam Mellows GAA club in Galway. He has had some success at underage level, however, the club hasn't won a senior county club championship title since 1970.
Collins first came to prominence on the inter-county scene as a member of the Galway minor hurling team. He enjoyed little success in this grade but later played with the under-21 county side. He won an All-Ireland medal with the Galway under-21 team in 2005 following a 1-15 to 1-14 defeat of Kilkenny.
By this stage Collins was a regular on the Galway senior team. He won a National League winners medal in 2004 as Galway defeated Waterford by 2-15 to 1-13. Later that year he made his championship debut at centre-back against Down.
In 2005 Galway defeated both Tipperary and Kilkenny in the All-Ireland series to qualify for an All-Ireland final showdown with Cork. It was the first meeting of Cork and Galway in an All-Ireland final since 1990 and even more daunting was the fact that men from the west had never beaten Cork in a championship decider. Neither side broke away into a considerable lead, however, at the final whistle Cork were ahead by 1-21 to 1-16. In spite of this defeat Collins ended the year as the Vodafone Young Hurler of the Year.
In 2007 Collins was appointed Galway captain.
After a number of disappointing seasons Collins won a second National League medal in 2010 following a 2-22 to 1-17 defeat of Cork.
In 2012 Galway shocked reigning All-Ireland champions Kilkenny to win a historic Leinster title by 2-21 to 2-11. It was Collins' first provincial winners' medal in any grade. He was dropped from Galway panel in 2016.
- Leinster Senior Hurling Championship (1): 2012
- National Hurling League (2): 2004, 2010
- All-Ireland Under-21 Hurling Championship (1): 2005
- Connacht Under-21 Hurling Championship (1): 2005
- Interprovincial Hurling Championship (1): 2004
- Vodafone Young Hurler of the Year (1): 2005
- "Galway boss Hayes names strong side for Down date". Breaking News website. 23 June 2004. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- "Player profile: David Collins". Galway Hurling Supporters Club website. 30 July 2012. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- "Galway Upstage Kilkenny Again". Irish Abroad website. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- "Galway cruise to League glory". Breaking News website. 9 May 2004. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- "Collins selected as Galway captain". RTÉ Sport. 14 June 2007. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- "Galway 2–22 Cork 1–17". RTÉ Sport. 4 May 2010. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- "Galway land historic Leinster win". RTÉ Sport. 8 July 2012. Retrieved 9 July 2012.
|Vodafone Young Hurler of the Year
James 'Cha' Fitzpatrick
|Galway Senior Hurling Captain
|Galway Senior Hurling Captain