David Coote (referee)
Coote started refereeing as a sixteen-year-old. He refereed in the Notts Alliance League, the Northern Counties East Football League, the Northern Premier League and the Conference North before being promoted to the Football League list of referees as an assistant referee. His first game in this role came in a Football League Two game between Stockport County and Hereford United. He was promoted to the list of Football League referees in 2010. In May 2014, Coote was the referee for the 2014 Football League One play-off Final at Wembley Stadium between Leyton Orient and Rotherham United.
In February 2020, Coote was the video assistant referee for the match between Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur. During the game, Giovani Lo Celso committed a serious foul when he stamped on Chelsea's Cesar Azpilicueta. On reviewing the incident, Coote deemed the foul not worthy of a red card and Lo Celso escaped a sending off. Coote would later admit to having erred and stated he should have recommended a red card for Lo Celso.
In October of the same year, Coote was again the VAR referee for a derby game. This time between Everton and Liverpool in the Merseyside derby. During the game, Jordan Pickford made a dangerous tackle on Virgil van Dijk in the penalty area, rupturing the latter's cruciate ligament. Coote correctly refused to give a penalty kick due to an offside in the build up. However, due to the offside, he controversially refused to give a red card to Pickford in spite of the challenge clearly endangering the opposition player. The on-field referee, Michael Oliver, later admitted that he should have sent Pickford off. In the same game Coote ruled out what would have been a winning goal for Liverpool when he ruled out Jordan Henderson's 92nd minute goal when Sadio Mané was adjudged to have been marginally offside in the build up to the goal.
- "David Coote Referee Profile | Premier League". www.premierleague.com. Retrieved 2020-02-13.
- "Men in Black — David Coote". www.football-league.co.uk. Archived from the original on 29 May 2014. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "Orient 2-2 Rotherham United". BBC Sport. 25 May 2014. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "VAR admits Lo Celso red card decision was wrong after Spurs midfielder's stamp on Azpilicueta". GOAL. 22 Feb 2020. Retrieved 26 Feb 2020.
- Hincks, Michael (19 October 2020). "Why wasn't Jordan Pickford sent off against Liverpool? What FA rules say about his lunge on Virgil van Dijk". Inews. Retrieved 3 March 2021.
- Brunt, Gordon (10 January 2021). "Referee admits Pickford should have been sent off for Van Dijk tackle". TheScore. Retrieved 3 March 2021.
- Marland, Daniel (17 October 2020). "Liverpool's Last-Gasp Winner Against Everton Controversially Ruled Out By VAR". SportBible. Retrieved 3 March 2021.