Crockett High School (Austin, Texas)
|Crockett High School|
|5601 Manchaca Road
Austin, Texas 78745
|School district||Austin Independent School District|
|Number of students||1,459(2015)|
|Color(s)||Brown and Gold|
|Athletics conference||UIL 26-AAAAA|
Crockett High School is a public high school located in South Austin, Texas. The school opened in 1968 and is part of the Austin Independent School District (AISD). It was named after U.S. frontiersman Davy Crockett.
Crockett High School is located at the corner of Manchaca Road and Stassney Lane. In 1968, the only other building in the area was a two-story farm house on Manchaca Road. Crockett's first principal, Forrest Kline, teachers and students enjoyed lunch in the courtyard amongst massive boulders and oak trees due to the cafeteria not having been built yet. Actor Fess Parker, best known for his 1950s portrayals of Davy Crockett for Walt Disney, attended the schools first pep rally.
In 1971, A federal judge ordered Anderson High School in East Austin closed because it was still racially segregated. African-American students from the old Anderson High School were bussed to Crockett starting in the fall of that year.
In 1980 and again in 1981 the band won First Place at the UIL State Marching Band Contest (Class 5-A) and was named "Best Band Ever" by Texas Monthly Magazine.
By 2015 the school began providing free cosmetology training through a revamped cosmetology program. Students are able to begin work immediately after high school through this program.
- Roger Huerta, professional MMA fighter
- David Jones, class of 1979, former professional football player
- Gabriel Luna, class of 2001, actor & producer.
- Eugene Lockhart, class of 1979, former professional football player
- Bruce Scholtz, class of 1977, former professional football player
- Dave Smith. Disney A to Z. Disney Editions, 2006. 161.
- History of David Crockett High School. David Crockett High School Alumni Directory 2001, Harris Publishing 2001. pages V-X.
- "Halftime Heroes". Texas Monthly. Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- Avila, Candice. "Crockett High’s Cosmetology program saving students thousands" (Archive). KXAN. January 21, 2016. Retrieved on January 22, 2016.
- "Gabriel Luna". IMDb. Retrieved 3 November 2015.