David D. Aitken
|David Demerest Aitken|
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from Michigan's 6th district
March 4, 1893 – March 3, 1897
|Preceded by||Byron G. Stout|
|Succeeded by||Samuel W. Smith|
|Constituency||6th Congressional District of Michigan|
|45th Mayor of the City of Flint, Michigan|
|Preceded by||Bruce J. McDonald|
|Succeeded by||George E. McKinley|
|4th City Clerk|
|Preceded by||Albert C. Lyon|
|Succeeded by||John H. Hicok|
|Constituency||City of Flint|
September 5, 1853|
Flint Township, Michigan,
|Died||May 26, 1930
|Resting place||Glenwood Cemetery|
|Relations||Robert P. Aitken, father|
Aitken was born on a farm in Flint Township, Michigan in Genesee County. His father, Robert P. Aitken, served in the Michigan House of Representatives 1865-1868. Aitken attended the district schools and the local high school in Flint. He taught in a district school of Genesee County in 1871-1872 and moved to New Jersey in 1872, where he was employed as a bookkeeper. He studied law in New York City, was admitted to the bar in 1878, and commenced practice in Flint.
He was Flint city clerk 1883-1886 and city attorney 1886-1890. Aitken was elected as a Republican to the U.S. House of Representatives from the 6th District of Michigan for the 53rd and 54th Congresses, serving from March 4, 1893 to March 3, 1897. He was chairman of the House Committee on Mines and Mining in the 54th Congress. He was not a candidate for renomination, running instead for Governor of Michigan in 1896. After losing that election to Hazen S. Pingree, Aitken resumed the practice of law and also engaged in banking. He served as Mayor of City of Flint in 1905 and 1906. He died in Flint on May 26, 1930, and is interred in his family's plot at Glenwood Cemetery.
- The Robert P. Aitken House, built circa 1843 (David's boyhood home), which is listed on The National Register of Historic Places
This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.
- United States Congress. "David D. Aitken (id: A000068)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.
- "Chapter XIII: Roster of City Officials". History of Genesee County, Michigan, Her People, Industries and Institutions. Michigan Historical Commission. 1916. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
- "List of Flint City Mayors". Political Graveyards.com. Lawrence (Larry) Kestenbaum. Retrieved 2009-02-09.
- "Aitken, David Demerest Entry". Political Graveyard.com. Lawrence (Larry) Kestenbaum. Retrieved 2009-03-10.
|United States House of Representatives|
Byron G. Stout
|United States Representative for the 6th Congressional District of Michigan
1893 – 1897
Samuel W. Smith
Bruce J. McDonald
|Mayor of Flint
George E. McKinley
Albert C. Lyon
|Clerk of Flint
John H. Hicok