David Darg is an American filmmaker and humanitarian. He co-founded a media company RYOT with Bryn Mooser. He received critical praise for his documentary Body Team 12 which garnered him a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Documentary (Short Subject) at the 88th Academy Awards.
Darg is a pioneer of Virtual Reality film making and directed the first VR film shot in a disaster zone.
In 2015 Darg was commissioned by Apple to create a short documentary using the iPhone 6s ahead of the phone's release. The project was intended to highlight the 4K capabilities of the new handset. Darg and Mooser took two pre release phones to Haiti and shot the first ever 4K documentary entirely using the iPhone. The film titled "The Painter of Jalouzie" was released on the same day as the iPhone 6s and was widely viewed and gained praise from the tech / photo industry.
David is the co-founder of RYOT News - a news site that connects every news story to actions. David was named one of Esquire Magazine's "2012 Americans of the Year" for his work in Haiti as well as a "Hollywood Maverick" by Details magazine for his documentary work in crisis and disaster zones.
- 2010: Sun City Picture House
- 2012: Baseball in the Time of Cholera
- 2013: The Rider and The Storm
- 2014: Mitimetallica
- 2015: Body Team 12
- 2015: Nepal Quake Project (Virtual Reality Film)
- 2015: The Painter of Jalouzie
- 2016: The Rugby Boys of Memphis
- 2017: Fear Us Women
David has spent over a decade as a humanitarian first responder and frontline contributor for Reuters, the BBC and CNN, covering some of the world's largest natural disasters and wars. As Vice President of Operation Blessing International, he has traveled to over 100 countries with experience in cross sector humanitarian development and relief work.
- "Nomi Talisman Biography". Center for documentary studies- Duke University. Retrieved January 22, 2016.
- "Virtual Reality Is Proving a Powerful Vehicle for Disaster Relief, Social Causes". Retrieved December 16, 2015.
- "Apple's iPhone 6s Produces A Colorful Vision Of Haiti Through A Painter's Eyes". Retrieved September 25, 2015.
- "WATCH: 4K Ultra HD Documentary Shot Entirely on Apple iPhone 6s". Retrieved September 25, 2015.
- "This is the First 4K Film Shot with the New iPhone 6S". Retrieved September 25, 2015.
- Strochlic, Nina (2013-07-25). "new-site-ryot-combines-breaking-news-with-activism". The Daily Beast. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Warren, Mark (2012-11-29). "Americans Of The Year 2012". Esquire. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Schilling, Mary Kaye. "Hollywood Mavericks". Details. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Haiti quake: Aid workers' diaries". BBC. 2010-01-18. Retrieved 2016-01-25.