David Descôteaux is a business columnist. He holds a bachelor's degree in Economics and Politics and a master's degree in Political science from the Université de Montréal. His master’s thesis analyzed the mobilization of anti-protectionism groups in the United States during the softwood lumber conflict with Canada.
David Descôteaux is a freelance writer specializing in economics. He has published numerous articles in a variety of publications, among them Commerce and Affaires Plus. He has also been a journalist for Radio-Canada. He was the recipient of the 2008 Magazines du Québec’s Best New Magazine Writer Award and, in 2007, of the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec / Merrill Lynch Economic and Financial Journalism Award, and of the Montreal economic Institute's 2007 Economic education prize.
In 2006, he participated at the online seminar "Business Writing" offered by the Donald W. Reynolds National Center for Business Journalism (University of Arizona).
Here are some of his recent articles in English:
- "This bridge goes nowhere", Metro Canada, July 2010. URL: http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/comment/article/585442--this-bridge-goes-nowhere
- "A free market allows the rich to fail, too", Metro Canada, July 2010. URL: http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/comment/article/579868--a-free-market-allows-the-rich-to-fail-too
- "Wal-Mart isn't the villain here", Metro Canada, July 2010. URL: http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/comment/article/574342--wal-mart-isn-t-the-villain-here
- "One broken refrigerator away from default", Metro Canada, July 2010. URL: http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/comment/article/568352--one-broken-refrigerator-away-from-default
- "The compartmentalization of trades in the construction industry", Montreal Economic Institute, May 2010. URL: http://www.iedm.org/uploaded/pdf/mai2010_en.pdf
- "Viewpoint on the debt of the Quebec government", Montreal Economic Institute, April 2010. URL: http://www.iedm.org/uploaded/pdf/point042010_en.pdf