|7th Vice-Chancellor University of Hull|
|Preceded by||David Dilks|
|Succeeded by||Calie Pistorius|
David John Drewry (born 22 September 1947, in Grimsby) is a glaciologist and geophysicist who was described in the conferring of an honorary degree by Anglia Ruskin University in 1998 as having an "outstanding reputation as an eminent scientist of international repute". Drewry has also received several awards for his work. Since 1 July 2015 he is the Vice-President of the European University Association.
Drewry was educated at Havelock Grammar School (now the Havelock Academy) in Grimsby. He then studied at Queen Mary College in east London, graduating with a BSc in Geography in 1969. He then studied in Cambridge, residing at Emmanuel College, Cambridge, and completed a PhD on Glaciology and Geophysics in 1974 with thesis titled Sub-ice relief and geology of East Antarctica.
From 1978 to 1983, Drewry was a Senior Research Assistant at the Scott Polar Research Institute, and then Assistant Director of Research in 1983. He was Director of the Scott Polar Research Institute from 1984 to 1987, and then Director of the British Antarctic Survey from 1987 to 1994. He is an Honorary Fellow of Emmanuel College, Cambridge.
He became the Vice-Chancellor Designate of the University of Hull in November 1999, being designated to take over on the planned retirement of the previous incumbent, David Dilks, in January 2000. On 1 September 2009, he was succeeded by Calie Pistorius, formerly the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Pretoria.
Awards and honours
- Polar Medal (UK)
- Antarctica Service Medal (USA)
- 1994 - Prix de la Belgica Gold Medal of the Royal Belgian Academy of Sciences
- 1998 - Patron's Medal of the Royal Geographical Society
Drewry is "married to Gillian Elizabeth and lives in East Yorkshire and London".
References and notes
- David J Drewry[permanent dead link], speaker biography for 2008 conference at Yorkshire Universities (Word document listed here Archived 29 September 2006 at the Wayback Machine), accessed 20 February 2010
- 10 things we didn't know last week, BBC News Magazine Monitor on 22 September 2009 citing the Guardian for Drewry's birth date.
- Professor David J Drewry, citation for Honorary Doctor of Science, 1998, Anglia Ruskin University, accessed 20 February 2010
- Dr. David Drewry, speaker biography at a Physics Colloquia at the University of York in June 2001, accessed 20 February 2010
- Professor David Drewry, Emmanuel College listing of Fellows, accessed 20 February 2010
- Professor David Drewry (Geography, 1969), 'Alumni in the News' section of QM Alumni e-Newsletter Issue 15, August 2008, accessed 20 February 2010
- Drewry, David John, A Cambridge Alumni Database, accessed 20 February 2010
- Honorary Fellows Archived 7 June 2011 at the Wayback Machine, Emmanuel College listing, accessed 20 February 2010
- On the move, Times Higher Education Supplement, 11 June 1999
- Appointments, Times Higher Education Supplement, 12 March 2009