David Duncan (ski cross)
|Full name||David Duncan|
|Born||July 15, 1982|
|Residence||Whistler, British Columbia|
|Team||Canada Ski Cross Team|
Duncan had a successful and breakout season during the 2009–10 Freestyle Skiing World Cup. Duncan earned his first career World Cup top ten finish, placing 9th at the World Cup in Branaes, Sweden. David Duncan needed to finish 5th or better at the January 24, Lake Placid ski-cross event to qualify for the Olympics. In the final Duncan won bronze thereby qualifying him for the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver. Alongside his bronze at Lake Placid Duncan also won a bronze medal in St. Johann in Tirol/Oberndorf, Austria on January 5.
Besides being a freestyle skier David Duncan is an aspiring helicopter pilot, Duncan also graduated from the University of Alaska after four years of schooling. He is sponsored by Stoeckli, POC, Osisko, Boler MTN and Mount 7 Lodges.
During a training run at the 2010 Winter Olympics, Dave broke his collarbone and therefore was not able to compete. Taking his place was supposed to be Brady Leman of Calgary, Alberta. However, Leman aggravated a broken tibia he suffered the previous year and was also unable to compete. Replacing both of them was Davey Barr of Brackendale, British Columbia.
Duncan competed for Canada at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang and finished eighth in ski cross. On February 24, he, along with his wife Maja and technical ski coach Willy Raine, were arrested in Pyeongchang for stealing a car while under the influence on their way back to the Olympic Village. They were later released and fined for the incident and were not allowed to participate in the closing ceremony.
- "Dave Duncan" http://www.ski-cross.ca/Dave-Duncan Archived 2010-02-01 at the Wayback Machine.
- "FIS Bio, Dave Duncan" http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/604/613.html?sector=FS&listid=&competitorid=142791&type=result
- "Elation, heartbreak highlight freestyle Olympic team". CBC News. 25 January 2010. Retrieved 2010-01-25.
- "Duncan, Murray earn ski cross bronze". Ottawa Citizen. 25 January 2010. Retrieved 2010-01-25.
- "Ski cross: David Duncan 'a man possessed'". Vancouver Sun. 24 January 2010. Retrieved 2010-01-25.[dead link]
- "Canuck breaks collarbone training". Toronto Sun. 19 February 2010. Retrieved 2010-02-19.
- "Ski cross injury replacement goes down". Toronto Sun. 20 February 2010. Retrieved 2010-02-20.
- "Canadian athlete Dave Duncan arrested, released in South Korea incident". CBC Sports. CBC News. 23 February 2018. Retrieved 24 February 2018.
- "Canadian Olympian Dave Duncan, wife, Willy Raine fined in car theft, DUI case". CBC Sports. CBC News. 25 February 2018. Retrieved 25 February 2018.
- Official website
- David Duncan at the International Ski Federation
- Ski Cross Canada
- Evans, Hilary; Gjerde, Arild; Heijmans, Jeroen; Mallon, Bill. "David Duncan". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC.
|This biographical article relating to freestyle skiing in Canada is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|