David Ellis (architect)
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (December 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
David Ellis is a Canadian architect.
Ellis is arguably the most well known and celebrated Northern Ontario architect. He is a graduate of Carleton University's Faculty of Engineering, School of Architecture and a member of the Ontario Association of Architects, the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards, Royal Architectural Institute of Canada, the State of Michigan Board of Architects, the Association of Registered Interior Designers of Ontario and is a LEED Accredited Professional. He was the founder, principal and lead designer of the firms Epa, Epo, and Epoh; his firm is now known as David Ellis Architect. Ellis' work has been honoured with the Laboratory of the Year Award in the USA, as well as recognition from the Association of Interior Designers of Ontario, Ontario Association of Architects, American Woodwork Council. Speaking engagements include the Commonwealth Scientific Conference, The Pittsburgh Scientific Conference, The Scientific Equipment and Furniture Association, Ontario Global Traders and other venues.
Additionally, he is an accomplished competitive cyclist, having won gold medals as Ontario Best Allround Time Trial Champion for two years running, plus silver and bronze in other years. He used his racing experience to become a frame designer, along with longtime friend, associate and master craftsman, Hans Metzen. Their bicycles have been ridden by athletes competing in National and World Championships, both on the road and track.
The work of David Ellis is regularly featured in design and architectural journals and has received a number of international and national design awards, such as his winning entry for the World Bank's Malaysian Health Development Project Design Competition, awards from the American Architectural Woodwork Institute (LSSU Crawford Hall), the Association of Registered Interior Designers of Ontario (Floreani Clinic) and the Canadian Terrazzo, Tile and Marble Institute (John Rhodes Community Pool). Recognition of technical expertise is evidenced by his R&D Magazine's "Laboratory of the Year" and two "Ontario Global Traders Awards" for his research and work abroad.
His design work has been recently published in: The Canadian Architect, Perspectives, One Thousand Architects, Architecture Malaysia, Magazin fur Kunden und Mitarbeiter, DimensionsMagazine, Research and Development Magazine, Steel Design, Canada's Cultural Places, Canada Builds Magazine, etc. He has also contributed in many architecturally related areas, such as the Ontario government's "Heritage Tool Kit". He was the keynote speaker to the Commonwealth Scientific Congress, held in Sarawak, Borneo, the Scientific Equipment and Furniture Association annual convention in Chicago, and the Ontario Global Trader’s Awards, in addition to lecturing at Construct Canada, Toronto, the Pittsburgh Scientific Conference and many other architectural design and historical symposia.
Notable design projects
- Algoma University Biosciences and Technology Convergence Centre, Ontario, Canada
- Government of Canada Great Lakes Forest Research Centre/Forest Pest Management Institute/Ontario Forest Research Institute complex, Ontario, Canada
- Canadian Bushplane Heritage Centre Entrance, Ontario, Canada
- 4D Theatre at the Canadian Bushplane Museum, Ontario, Canada
- Group Health Centre, Ontario, Canada
- The Group Health Centre and Sault Ste. Marie Innovation Centre joint Community Geomatics Centre
- Hockey Heritage North, Ontario, Canada
- The new Sault Area Hospital (co-design), Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Ontario, Canada (currently under construction)
- Algoma Residential Community Hospice, Ontario, Canada
- Floreani Orthodontic Clinic, Ontario, Canada
- Ontario Provincial Police Department, Ontario, Canada
- Sault Ste. Marie Events Centre, Ontario, Canada
- Ontario Winter Games Pool, Ontario, Canada
- John Rhodes Community Centre, Ontario, Canada
- F.H. Clergue French Immersion School, Ontario, Canada
- Waterfront Residential Project, Ontario, Canada
- Alternative Energy Interpretative Centre
- Ozone Project (In "progress") Michigan, U.S.A.
- Lake Superior State University’s Crawford hall of Science, Michigan, U.S.A
- Northwestern College Science/IT Centre, Michigan, U.S.A.
- Bay College Science Building, Michigan, U.S.A
- Viterbo University Science and Ethics Building, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
- The Malaysia Health Development Project Regional Laboratories, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- National Blood Service Centre, Malaysia
- Prototypical Middle School Design, St. Lucia
- Australian Great Ocean Drive Residence
- 2003 Association of Registered Interior Designers of Ontario, Floreani Orthodontist Clinic
- 2000 Laboratory of the Year, Lake Superior State University’s Crawford Hall of Science by Research Facilities Design and R&D Magazine
- 2000 American Woodwork Institute Award, Lake Superior State University
- 2000 Canadian Tile, Marble and Terrazzo Institute Award, Ontario Winter Games Pool and Restaurant
- 1998, 2002 Ontario Global Trader Regional Leadership Award – Leadership in the Scientific and Medical Design Fields
- 1995 Design Competition Winner - Sponsor The World Bank, Malaysia Health Development