Esquer with Cal in 2007
|Born||April 13, 1965|
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|Head coaching record|
|Accomplishments and honors|
Early life and education
Esquer attended Palma High School in Salinas, California where he played basketball, football, and baseball. Esquer was team captain and MVP of the baseball team and was named his high school's athlete of the year. He attended Stanford University and was a starting shortstop for Stanford Cardinal baseball under head coach Mark Marquess and as a senior helped Stanford win the 1987 College World Series, in which he was named to the all-tournament team for hitting .350 with six RBI.
Professional playing career
After graduating from Stanford with a bachelor's degree in economics and a master's degree in sociology in 1987, Esquer played three seasons in the minor league organizations of the Baltimore Orioles, California Angels, and Milwaukee Brewers.
In 1991, Esquer returned to Stanford to become an assistant coach at Stanford under Marquess. After six seasons at Stanford, from 1997 to 1999, Esquer was an assistant coach at Pepperdine handling recruiting, hitting instruction, infield coaching, and third base coach duties.
Beginning in the 2000 season, Esquer was hired as head baseball coach at Cal. In 18 seasons with the Golden Bears, Esquer recorded a record of 525–467–2 (.529), and led the Bears to NCAA Regionals in 2001, 2008, 2010, and 2015, and was named Pacific-10 Conference coach of the year in 2001. In 2011, Esquer led the Bears back to their first College World Series appearance since 1992 and was named national baseball coach of the year by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association.
Head coaching record
|California Golden Bears (Pacific-10/Pac-12 Conference) (2000–2017)|
|2011||California||38–23||13–13||6th||College World Series|
|Stanford Cardinal (Pac-12 Conference) (2018–present)|
|Stanford:||87–23 (.791)||44–15 (.746)|
Postseason invitational champion
Esquer and his wife Lynn have two children.
- "David Esquer". Stanford University. Retrieved June 5, 2018.
- "David Esquer". Stanford Cardinal. Retrieved May 5, 2018.
- "David Esquer Minor League Statistics & History". baseball-reference.com. Retrieved April 15, 2011.
- FitzGerald, Tom (June 21, 2011). "Cal baseball coach David Esquer wins national honor". San Francisco Chronicle. Archived from the original on June 25, 2011.
- "David Esquer Steps Down As Head Baseball Coach". Cal Athletics. June 16, 2017.
- "Welcome Home: David Esquer named Clarke and Elizabeth Nelson Director of Baseball". Stanford Athletics. June 16, 2017.
- "2012 Pac-12 Conference Baseball Media Guide". Pac-12 Conference. Archived from the original on May 8, 2013. Retrieved May 7, 2013.
- "2012 Pac-12 Conference Baseball Standings". D1Baseball.com. Jeremy Mills. Archived from the original on May 8, 2013. Retrieved May 7, 2013.
- "2013 Pac-12 Conference Baseball Standings". D1Baseball.com. Jeremy Mills. Archived from the original on June 3, 2013. Retrieved June 3, 2013.