David Filo, May 2007
April 20, 1966 |
Wisconsin, United States
|Residence||Palo Alto, California, U.S.|
|Alma mater||Tulane University
|Occupation||Co-founder and Chief Yahoo, Yahoo! Inc.|
|Salary||US$ 1.01 per year|
|Net worth||US$3.1 billion (June 2015)|
David Filo (born April 20, 1966) is an American businessman and the co-founder of Yahoo! with Jerry Yang. His Filo Server Program, written in the C programming language, was the server-side software used to dynamically serve variable web pages, called Filo Server Pages, on visits to early versions of the Yahoo! web site.
Personal life and education
Filo was born in Wisconsin. At age 6, he moved to Moss Bluff, Louisiana, a suburb of Lake Charles, Louisiana. He graduated from Sam Houston High School and then earned a BS in Computer Engineering from Tulane University (through the Dean's Honor Scholarship) and an MS from Stanford University.
As of December 2014, Filo is estimated to be worth $3.8 billion, ranking him as the 580th richest person in the world. As a philanthropist, in 2005 he gave $30 million to his alma mater, Tulane University, for use in its School of Engineering.
Filo is married to photographer and teacher Angela Buenning.
In February 1994, he co-created with Jerry Yang an Internet website called "Jerry and David's Guide to the World Wide Web", consisting of a directory of other websites. It was renamed "Yahoo!" (an exclamation). Yahoo! became very popular, and Filo and Yang realized the business potential and co-founded Yahoo! Inc.
Yahoo! started off as a web portal with a web directory providing an extensive range of products and services for various online activities. It is now one of the leading internet brands and, due to partnerships with telecommunications firms, has one of the most trafficked networks on the internet.
- "Yahoo! 2011 Proxy Statement" (PDF). Retrieved 28 July 2011.
- "Forbes 400 Richest Americans: #292 David Filo". Forbes. March 2013.
- "David Filo". Forbes. October 17, 2014.
- Another billionaire drops
- Yahoo! Inc. – Company History. yhoo.client.shareholder.com
- "Most Popular Sites 2012: Alexa Ranks The 500 Most-Visited Websites," Huffington Post, August 9, 2012
- MetroActive: A Couple of Yahoos
- Michael Moritz interviews David Filo et al. at TechCrunch40 conference video