David Fiuczynski performs at Moers Festival (2007)
|Also known as||Fuze|
|Born||March 5, 1964
Newark, New Jersey
|Genres||Rock, Alternative Jazz, Funk-Rock, Microtonal, Middle Eastern|
|Instruments||Guitar, Double-Neck Guitar|
|Years active||1983 to the present|
|Labels||Fuzelicious Morsels, Discovery|
|Associated acts||Screaming Headless Torsos, Hiromi's Sonicbloom, Hasidic New Way, Kif, Black Cherry Acid Lab, Planet Micro Jam, Medeski/Fiuczysnki, Rudresh Mahanthappa|
David "Fuze" Fiuczynski (born March 5, 1964) is an American guitarist, best known as the leader of the Screaming Headless Torsos and David Fiuczynski's KiF, and as a member of Hasidic New Wave. He has played on more than 95 albums as a session musician, band leader or band member.
Though born in the United States, his family moved to Germany when he was 8 years old and remained until he was 19. He returned to the US to study at Hampshire College and later the prestigious New England Conservatory. He received a Bachelors of Music from the latter in 1989. After living in New York City for more than a decade, he now resides in Massachusetts and is a full-time professor at the Berklee College of Music in Boston.
Though generally thought of as a jazz musician, David Fiuczynski describes himself as "a jazz-musician who doesn't want to play just jazz". Many of his albums have thematic material that ties them to one or more additional genres. Screaming Headless Torsos, for instance, emphasizes a jazz-funk fusion, while Hasidic New Wave blends jazz with Semitic and African music; 2000's JazzPunk is a recording of standards and covers written by his idols and mentors, in which each tune was reworked in distinctive musical combinations.
- David Fiuczynski @ All About Jazz
- David Fiuczynski | Berklee College of Music
- David Fiuczynski: New Music for a New World
- David Fiuczynski - John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation
- Tzvi Gluckin, Mega Micro Man, Premier Guitar, September 30, 2014 http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/21485-david-fiuczynski-mega-micro-man
- First Listen: Rudresh Mahanthappa, 'Gamak' : NPR
- Official Site
- Interview from 2000
- Gizmo blog w/tour news, 2005
- David Fiuczynski Group, Mercury Lounge, NYC
- Amazon page