David Frankel (entrepreneur)
A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (August 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Johannesburg, South Africa
|Alma mater||Harvard University; University of the Witwatersrand|
|Title||Managing Partner of Founder Collective|
Frankel was co-founder & CEO of Internet Solutions (IS), the largest ISP and private data carrier in Africa. He served as an Executive Director on the board of London Listed Dimension Data plc which was subsequently acquired by NTT Japan for $3.2bn. He also serves on the boards of Rand Merchant Holdings and Rand Merchant Investments. He previously served on the board of directors of Rand Merchant Bank from 2007 to 2018.
In 2000, Frankel was voted the South African Technology Achiever of the Century by Financial Mail. The World Economic Forum later selected him for the GLT (Global Leader of Tomorrow) program in Davos, Switzerland. Frankel is an Electrical Engineer (Wits) and post selection for the Fulbright Scholarship Program earned an MBA, with distinction, from Harvard Business School. Frankel is currently an Entrepreneur-in-Residence at the HBS Rock Center and he serves on the boards of several non-profit organizations including The Rashi School in Boston, Foundation 2000, the King David Schools Foundation and Endeavor South Africa.
The fund was co-founded with Eric Paley (founder of Brontes Technologies). Founder Collective counts Uber, Makerbot and Cruise amongst its seed stage portfolio companies. Frankel is the lead investor for Founder Collective in companies such as PillPack (sold to Amazon), SeatGeek, Buzzfeed and Coupang. He previously provided the first term sheet or capital for companies such as olo, OPower (NYSE: OPWR) and Volaris (NYSE: VLRS).
- Firebase (acquired by Google)
- PillPack (acquired by Amazon)
- Bluebox (acquired by IBM)
- Volaris (NYSE: VLRS)
- OPower (NYSE: OPWR)
- MediaRadar (acquired by Frontier Capital)
- Olo (online ordering)
- Big Think
- Hunch (acquired by eBay)
- New Dawn Satellite (acquired by Intelsat)
- Getmein! (acquired by Ticketmaster)
- Brontes (acquired by 3M)
- SiteAdvisor (acquired by McAfee)
- Context Optional (acquired by Adobe Inc.)
- TrialPay (acquired by Visa)
- Visual Risk (acquired by GTreasury)
- Kubo, Nobuhiro. (July 15, 2010) Japan's NTT to buy Dimension Data for $3.2 billion. Reuters. Retrieved on 2016-07-16.
- Annual Integrated Report 2018 (2018) 
- RMI Board of Directors (2018) 
- Showcase Profile – Entrepreneurship – Harvard Business School. Entrepreneurship.hbs.edu. Retrieved on July 16, 2016.
- Angel Investors Are Going Where VCs Fear to Tread. Newsweek.com. Retrieved on July 16, 2016.
- Meet the Uber rich. Fortune (June 5, 2014). Retrieved on 2016-07-16.
- Scott Belsky, founder of Behance, joins Founder Collective. Fortune (February 3, 2014). Retrieved on 2016-07-16.
- Amazon to Buy Online Pharmacy PillPack, Jumping Into the Drug Business nytimes.com Retrieved June 29, 2018
- Amazon Shakes Up Pharmacy Business wsj.com Retrieved June 29, 2018
- Pill-popping economist.com Retrieved July 7, 2018
- 'Bloomberg Technology' Full Show (6/28/2018) bloomberg.com Retrieved June 28, 2018
- Behind PillPack’s $1 Billion Sale, a Frustrated 32-Year-Old Pharmacist wsj.com Retrieved 6/28/18
- At PillPack, a lot of credit goes to the father of invention bostonglobe.com Retrieved July 26, 2018
- Raises $35 Million From Accel | Press Releases, News. SeatGeek (August 28, 2014). Retrieved on 2016-07-16.
- SoftBank-Backed Korean Unicorn Coupang Prepares for IPO as Soon as 2021. Bloomberg (Jan 8, 2020). Retrieved on 2020-05-24.
- Korean E-commerce Leader Coupang To Raise $1 Billion From SoftBank At $5 Billion Valuation. Forbes.com Retrieved on June 3, 2015
- https://techcrunch.com/2012/05/22/firebase-funding/. TechCrunch.com Retrieved on Feb 1, 2019
- SeatGeek Scores $62 Million for Its Ticket-Selling App – Venture Capital Dispatch – WSJ. Blogs.wsj.com (April 2, 2015). Retrieved on 2016-07-16.
- Pharmacy Startup PillPack Could Change The Way America Takes Its Medicine. Forbes.com. Retrieved on July 16, 2016.
- The Pharmacy of The Future is Ready for Your Bathroom Counter. Wired.com. Retrieved on July 31, 2017
- IBM Buys More Into OpenStack With Blue Box Acquisition. Fortune (June 3, 2015). Retrieved on 2016-07-16.
- Frontier Capital makes MediaRadar first deal from $700m Fund V
- Olo’s 10th birthday. olo.com (June 1, 2015)
- eBay Buys Hunch To Improve Long-Tail Shopping Recommendations
- News Release | Intelsat. Investors.intelsat.com. Retrieved on July 16, 2016.
- Ticketmaster Acquires U.K.-Based GetMeIn
- 3M Acquires Developer of 3-D Imaging Technology for Digital Dentistry, Brontes Technologies Inc.
- McMillan, Robert. (April 5, 2006) McAfee buys SiteAdvisor. Computerworld. Retrieved on 2016-07-16.
- Adobe Acquires Efficient Frontier To Boost Its Digital Marketing Solutions. TechCrunch (November 30, 2011). Retrieved on 2016-07-16.
- Visa Announces Acquisition Of TrialPay To Expand Its Offers Platform. TechCrunch (February 27, 2015). Retrieved on 2016-07-16.
- GTreasury and Visual Risk join forces to create the most comprehensive Treasury Management System in the Market. Business Wire. Retrieved on 2018-10-17