David Frankel (entrepreneur)
|Born||Johannesburg, South Africa|
|Residence||Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts, US|
|Alma mater||Harvard University, University of the Witwatersrand|
|Occupation||Managing Partner of Founder Collective|
David Frankel is Managing Partner and founder of Founder Collective, a seed-stage venture capital fund headquartered in New York and Boston. The fund was co-founded together with Eric Paley (founder of Brontes Technologies) and includes Micah Rosenbloom as NY based partner. Founder Collective counts Uber, Buzzfeed & Makerbot amongst its seed stage portfolio companies. Frankel is the lead investor for Founder Collective in companies such as Coupang, Seatgeek. and Pillpack. He previously provided the first term sheet or capital for companies such as OPower (NYSE: OPWR) and Volaris (NYSE: VLRS).
Frankel was co-founder & CEO of Internet Solutions (IS), the largest ISP and private data carrier in Africa. Frankel served as an Executive Director on the board of London Listed Dimension Data plc which was subsequently acquired by NTT Japan for $3.2bn. David has served on the board of directors of Rand Merchant Bank (RMB) since 2007.
In 2000, Frankel was voted the South African Technology Achiever of the Century, by the Financial Mail. The World Economic Forum later selected him for the GLT (Global Leader of Tomorrow) program in Davos, Switzerland. Frankel is an Electrical Engineer (Wits) and post selection for the Fulbright Scholarship Program earned an MBA, with distinction, from Harvard Business School. He currently serves on the boards of several non-profit organizations including The Rashi School in Boston, Foundation 2000, the King David Schools Foundation and Endeavor South Africa.
Among his investments are:
- Bluebox (Acquired by IBM)
- Volaris (NYSE: VLRS)
- OPower (NYSE: OPWR)
- OLO (online ordering)
- Big Think
- Hunch (Acquired by eBay)
- New Dawn Satellite (Acquired by Intelsat)
- Getmein! (Acquired by Ticketmaster)
- Brontes (Acquired by 3M)
- SiteAdvisor (Acquired by McAfee)
- Context Optional (Acquired by Adobe)
- TrialPay (Acquired by Visa)
- Angel Investors Are Going Where VCs Fear to Tread. Newsweek.com. Retrieved on July 16, 2016.
- Meet the Uber rich. Fortune (June 5, 2014). Retrieved on 2016-07-16.
- Scott Belsky, founder of Behance, joins Founder Collective. Fortune (February 3, 2014). Retrieved on 2016-07-16.
- Sequoia Backs Coupang, South Korea’s Answer To Amazon, With $100 Million. TechCrunch (May 28, 2014). Retrieved on 2016-07-16.
- Raises $35 Million From Accel | Press Releases, News. SeatGeek (August 28, 2014). Retrieved on 2016-07-16.
- PillPack Raises $50 Million to Build Retail Footprint and Accelerate Growth. Prnewswire.com. Retrieved on July 16, 2016.
- Kubo, Nobuhiro. (July 15, 2010) Japan's NTT to buy Dimension Data for $3.2 billion. Reuters. Retrieved on 2016-07-16.
- Showcase Profile – Entrepreneurship – Harvard Business School. Entrepreneurship.hbs.edu. Retrieved on July 16, 2016.
- Coupang Raises $300 Million To Fill Amazon-Sized Void In South Korea. Forbes.com. Retrieved on July 16, 2016.
- SeatGeek Scores $62 Million for Its Ticket-Selling App – Venture Capital Dispatch – WSJ. Blogs.wsj.com (April 2, 2015). Retrieved on 2016-07-16.
- Pharmacy Startup PillPack Could Change The Way America Takes Its Medicine. Forbes.com. Retrieved on July 16, 2016.
- IBM Buys More Into OpenStack With Blue Box Acquisition. Fortune (June 3, 2015). Retrieved on 2016-07-16.
- Founder Collective Makes A $4 Million Bet On Paddle8’s Online Marketplace For Fine Art. TechCrunch (February 8, 2012). Retrieved on 2016-07-16.
- Olo’s 10th birthday. olo.com (June 1, 2015)
- News Release | Intelsat. Investors.intelsat.com. Retrieved on July 16, 2016.
- McMillan, Robert. (April 5, 2006) McAfee buys SiteAdvisor. Computerworld. Retrieved on 2016-07-16.
- Adobe Acquires Efficient Frontier To Boost Its Digital Marketing Solutions. TechCrunch (November 30, 2011). Retrieved on 2016-07-16.
- Visa Announces Acquisition Of TrialPay To Expand Its Offers Platform. TechCrunch (February 27, 2015). Retrieved on 2016-07-16.
- South Africa's Greatest Tech Exports
- David Frankel Bio at Founder Collective
- Internet Solutions Turns 20
- David Frankel Stanford University's Entrepreneurship Corner
- Harvard Business School Entrepreneurship Showcase David A. Frankel
- From Backing His HBS Classmates to Making the Midas List – How David Frankel Became a VC
- Japan's NTT to buy Dimension Data for $3.2 billion
- SoftBank to Invest $1 Billion in South Korea’s Coupang
- PillPack Raises $50 Million In Latest Funding Round
- At $68 Billion Valuation, Uber Will Be Bigger Than GM, Ford, And Honda
- Olo Raises $40 Million To Expand Delivery Business