|Alma mater||Muhlenberg College|
|Occupation||Magazine editor, journalist|
David Fricke (born June 4, 1952) is a senior editor at Rolling Stone magazine, where he writes predominantly on rock music. His career has spanned over 40 years. In the 1990s, he was the magazine's music editor before stepping down.
Early life and education
He has appeared on the Classic Albums documentaries on the making of Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon, Cream's Disraeli Gears, Def Leppard's Hysteria, Nirvana's Nevermind, Metallica's Black Album, Peter Gabriel's So, Frank Zappa's Apostrophe and Over-Nite Sensation as well as Rush's Moving Pictures and 2112 albums. Fricke has also appeared on a number of Lou Reed documentaries and in the Wilco documentary I Am Trying to Break Your Heart.
He currently writes the "Fricke's Picks Radio" podcast and the Alternate Take blog in Rolling Stone.
Essays and reporting
- Fricke, David (May 2015). "Rhiannon Giddens' old-time religion". Rolling Stone (Australia). 762: 24.
|Album title||Artist||Reviewed in|
|Dungeon Golds||The Minus 5||Fricke, David (May 2015). "[Untitled review]". Reviews. Rolling Stone (Australia). 762: 95.|
|Policy||Butler, Will||Fricke, David (May 2015). "[Untitled review]". Reviews. Rolling Stone (Australia). 762: 98.|
- The 1979 Kevin Roth album New Wind
- The 1993 Moby Grape compilation Vintage: The Very Best of Moby Grape
- The 1993 John Prine compilation Great Days: The John Prine Anthology
- The 1993 Led Zeppelin compilation Led Zeppelin Boxed Set 2
- The 1995 Hüsker Dü live album The Living End
- The 1995 Velvet Underground box set Peel Slowly and See; the 1997 "Fully Loaded" reissue of Loaded
- The Byrds 1996–2000 CD reissue series
- The 1997 Simon & Garfunkel compilation Old Friends
- The 1997 Paul Kelly compilation Songs from the South
- The 1998 Metallica covers compilation Garage Inc.
- The 1998 Long Ryders 2-CD compilation Anthology
- The 1999 Captain Beefheart box set Grow Fins: Rarities 1965-1982
- The 1999 Jimi Hendrix live compilation Live at Woodstock
- The 1999 Ramones compilation Hey! Ho! Let's Go: The Anthology
- The 2002 Nirvana "best-of" compilation Nirvana
- The 2003 AC/DC Back in Black reissue Back in Black (remaster)
- The 2005 Violent Femmes "best of" compilation Permanent Record: The Very Best of Violent Femmes
- The 2006 Def Leppard 20th Anniversary Hysteria "Deluxe Edition"
- The 2006 Frank Zappa box set The MOFO Project/Object
- The 2007 The Church "best of" compilation Deep in the Shallows
- The 2007 Led Zeppelin "best of" compilation Mothership
- The 2008 Billy Joel box set The Stranger 30th Anniversary Edition
- The 2009 Frank Zappa box set Lumpy Money
- The 2009 Grateful Dead box set Winterland June 1977: The Complete Recordings
- The 2013 The Numbers Band (a.k.a. 15-60-75) reissue Jimmy Bell's Still In Town (1975)
- "David Fricke, of Rolling Stone magazine, discusses navigating his way through 'chaos'". The Express Times. 2012-03-23. Retrieved 2013-03-20.
-  Archived October 16, 2006, at the Wayback Machine
- "David Fricke of Rolling Stone magazine tells intimate rock stories during talk at Allentown Art Museum". lehighvalleylive.com. 2012-03-28. Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- "Muhlenberg magazine cover" (PDF). Muhlenberg.edu. Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- "#132 Muhlenberg College". Forbes.com. Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- "David Fricke of Rolling Stone tells intimate Rock stories during talk at Allentown Art Museum". The Express Times. 2012-03-28. Retrieved 2013-03-20.
- "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart: Full Cast & Crew". IMDb. IMDb. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "Aztec Camera – High Land, Hard Rain". Aztec Camera on Discogs. Discogs. 2014. Retrieved 5 July 2014.
- "HIGH LAND, HARD RAIN". Domino USA. Domino USA. 18 February 2014. Retrieved 5 July 2014.
- Fricke, David. "Alternate Take". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 30 September 2013.