David García (footballer, born 1981)
García (right) in action for Espanyol in 2009
|Full name||David García de la Cruz|
|Date of birth||16 January 1981|
|Place of birth||Manresa, Spain|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Playing position||Left back|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
Born in Manresa, Barcelona, Catalonia, García was a product of RCD Espanyol's youth system, and made his La Liga debut on 8 January 2000 in a 0–0 home draw against Deportivo de La Coruña, becoming a regular fixture in the 2001–02 season and also being named second team captain after Raúl Tamudo, the only player to have been on Espanyol's books for longer; on 23 March 2003 he scored the first of only two competitive goals during his career, helping to a 1–1 draw at Valencia CF.
In early 2007, García renewed his link to the Pericos for a further two seasons, stating about the deal: "I want to finish my career here. I can't imagine myself wearing any other shirt." During that campaign, however, he only appeared in 16 games overall (nine in the league, adding seven in the club's runner-up run in the UEFA Cup) mainly due to a knee injury.
In 2008–09, García played in just 14 league matches as he again dealt with physical ailments, but was instrumental in the final stretch, appearing in seven complete contests out of the last ten – of which Espanyol won eight. On 12 June 2009 he extended his contract for two additional years, featuring in 38 combined games during that timespan.
- "El líder suma su tercera jornada sin ganar" [Leader fails to win for the third time] (in Spanish). Marca. 8 January 2000. Retrieved 10 December 2015.
- "David García, el perico perfecto" [David García, the perfect perico] (in Spanish). Mundo Deportivo. 28 May 2011. Retrieved 10 December 2015.
- "El Valencia pierde el tren de la Liga" [Valencia loses touch with League] (in Spanish). El Mundo. 23 March 2003. Retrieved 10 December 2015.
- David García renueva por el Espanyol hasta Junio de 2009 (David García renews with Espanyol until June 2009); Terra, 16 February 2007 (in Spanish)
- "El Espanyol pierde a David García durante tres meses por una lesión de rodilla" [Espanyol loses David García for three months with knee injury] (in Spanish). Diario AS. 15 September 2006. Retrieved 10 December 2015.
- David García amplia su contrato con el Espanyol dos años más (David García extends Espanyol contract for two more years); Mundo Deportivo, 12 June 2009 (in Spanish)
- David García fortalece la zaga del Girona (David García bolsters Girona's defence); Marca, 4 August 2011 (in Spanish)
- "¡Increíble Espanyol!" [Incredible Espanyol!] (in Spanish). Mundo Deportivo. 13 April 2006. Retrieved 17 April 2015.
- Atkin, John (17 May 2007). "Palop lauds perfect performance". UEFA.com. Retrieved 17 April 2015.