David J. Garrow (born May 11, 1953 in New Bedford, Massachusetts) is an American historian and author of the book Bearing the Cross: Martin Luther King, Jr., and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (1986), which won the 1987 Pulitzer Prize for Biography. He also wrote Liberty and Sexuality (1994), a history of the legal struggles over reproductive rights in the U.S. prior to the Roe v. Wade decision, Rising Star: The Making of Barack Obama (2017), and other works.
Garrow writes frequently on the history of the United States Supreme Court and the history of the Civil Rights Movement, and regularly contributes articles on these subjects to non-academic publications including the New York Times, The Nation, The Financial Times, and The New Republic.
Garrow served as a senior adviser for Eyes on the Prize, the award-winning PBS television history of the Civil Rights Movement covering the years 1954–1965. He has taught at Duke University (Instructor of History; 1978-1979), the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (Assistant Professor of History; 1980-1984), the City College of New York and the CUNY Graduate Center (Associate and full Professor of History; 1984-1991), The Cooper Union (Visiting Distinguished Professor of History; 1992-1993), the College of William and Mary (James Pinckney Harrison Visiting Professor of History; 1994-1995), American University (Distinguished Historian in Residence; 1995-1996) and the Emory University School of Law (Presidential Distinguished Professor; 1997-2005). From 2005 to 2011, Garrow was a Senior Research Fellow at Homerton College, Cambridge. Since 2011, he has served as Professor of Law and History and John E. Murray Faculty Scholar at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law.
- Protest at Selma (Yale University Press, 1978)
- The FBI and Martin Luther King, Jr. (Norton, 1981)
- Bearing the Cross: Martin Luther King, Jr., and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (Morrow, 1986; HarperCollins paperback, 2004)
- We Shall Overcome (as editor, three volumes of an 18-volume set, Carlson Pub., 1989)
- Liberty and Sexuality: The Right to Privacy and the Making of Roe v. Wade (Macmillan, 1994; updated paperback edition, University of California Press, 1998)
- Rising Star: The Making of Barack Obama (2017)
|This biography of an American historian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a United States biographer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|