Sir David Gascoigne
|Vice-regal consort of New Zealand|
|Assumed office |
28 September 2016
|Preceded by||Janine, Lady Mateparae|
David Rendel Kingston Gascoigne
15 January 1940
Wairau, New Zealand
|Spouse(s)||Margaret Louise Campbell|
Patsy Reddy (m. 2016)
|Alma mater||Victoria University of Wellington|
Sir David Rendel Kingston Gascoigne KNZM CBE CStJ (born 15 January 1940) is a New Zealand lawyer and former judicial conduct commissioner. He is the husband of Dame Patsy Reddy, who was sworn in as the 21st Governor-General of New Zealand in September 2016.
Early life and education
Gascoigne was born in the Wairau Valley of New Zealand's South Island, the son of Keith and Dorothy Gascoigne. The family moved to Blenheim where he received most of his schooling, including at Marlborough College where he was dux.
Gascoigne began his legal career with Watts and Patterson (now Minter Ellison Rudd Watts), where he became chairman of partners specialising in corporate law. He maintains an association with this firm.
Gascoigne's early partners in the practice included his future second wife and her then husband or husband-to-be.
Gascoigne served as chairman of Mitsubishi Motors New Zealand Limited, New Zealand Film Production Fund Trust, and New Zealand Opera Limited. He also served as the chairman of Transpower New Zealand Limited until November 2007 and chairman of The Co-operative Bank Limited until 1 April 2012. He serves as a board member of the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa. Gascoigne served as a director of Transpower New Zealand Limited from 27 December 2000 to 31 October 2007. He served as a director at Skycity Leisure Limited and Mitsubishi Motors New Zealand Limited.
From 2009 Gascoigne served a six-year term as New Zealand's second judicial conduct commissioner.
In the 1989 New Year Honours Gascoigne was appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire for services to the film industry. He was appointed Distinguished Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit, for services to arts and business, in the 2006 New Year Honours. In the Special Honours 2009 he accepted re-designation as a Knight Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit following the restoration of titular honours by the New Zealand government. In 2016, he was appointed a Commander of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem.
- Profile of David Rendel Kingston Gascoigne
- "Descendants of Ralph Hudson". Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- Raymond, Robin (13 August 2012). "Jibe drove Sir David to success". Marlborough Express. Retrieved 11 April 2016.
- "Victoria's Distinguished Alumni Awards announced". Scoop Independent News. 24 August 2006. Retrieved 11 April 2016.
- "Sir David Gascoigne KNZM, CBE, LLM". Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Five minutes with... Lloyd Kavanagh, Minter Ellison Rudd Watts". Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "David Rendel Kingston Gascoigne KNZM, CBE, LLM". Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "David Gascoigne". Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Office of the Judicial Conduct Commissioner". Ministry of Justice. 2016. Retrieved 11 April 2016.
- "No. 51580". The London Gazette (Supplement). 30 December 1988. p. 33.
- Taylor, Phil (31 December 2005). "New Year Honours: Stacey Jones receives a parting gift". Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Special honours list 1 August 2009". Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. 1 August 2009. Retrieved 11 April 2016.
- "No. 61619". The London Gazette. 15 June 2016. p. 13264.