David Gates (author)
|Born||January 8, 1947|
|Notable awards||Guggenheim Fellowship (1998)|
David Gates (born January 8, 1947) is an American journalist and novelist. His first novel, Jernigan (1991), about a dysfunctional one-parent family, was a Pulitzer Prize finalist in 1992 and was a finalist for the National Book Critics Circle Award. This was followed by a second novel, Preston Falls (1998), and two short story collections, The Wonders of the Invisible World (1999) and A Hand Reached Down to Guide Me (2015). He has published short stories in The New Yorker, Tin House, Newsweek, The New York Times Book Review, Bookforum, Rolling Stone, H.O.W, The Oxford American, The Journal of Country Music, Esquire magazine, Ploughshares, GQ, Grand Street, TriQuarterly, and The Paris Review. Gates is also a Guggenheim Fellow.
He teaches in the graduate writing program at The University of Montana as well as at the Bennington Writing Seminars. Here he is a member of the Dog House Band, performing on the guitar, pedal steel, and vocals.
- Rothstein, Mervyn. "David Gates and His Exploring Of the Beauty Within the Bleak".
- "- Believer Magazine".
- https://www.nytimes.com/1991/05/24/books/books-of-the-times-inspecting-the-ruins-of-a-contemporary-life.html "Books of The Times; Inspecting the Ruins Of a Contemporary Life" by Michiko Kakutani
- Weber, Bruce. "To See Ourselves As Writers See Us".
- "JERNIGAN by David Gates - Kirkus Reviews".
- "1992 Pulitzer Prizes". www.pulitzer.org.
- "David Gates- Assistant Professor". The University of Montana Creating Writing Program. Retrieved 16 April 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- https://www.nytimes.com/books/98/02/15/reviews/980215.15woodlt.html "Willis's Disease" by Michael Woods
- ""The Wonders of the Invisible World"". 30 June 1999.
- "Review - The Wonders of the Invisible World". januarymagazine.com.
- "'A Hand Reached Down to Guide Me,' by David Gates".
- "Read By Author - Ploughshares". www.pshares.org.
- "Paris Review - Writers, Quotes, Biography, Interviews, Artists". The Paris Review.
- "David Gates Reading". Book People of Moscow. Retrieved 16 April 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- The Editors. "Up Front - Talkin With David Gates".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-06-30. Retrieved 2012-06-24. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Ploughshares articles by or about David Gates
- Bombsite.com– Biography
- Random House– Interview with David Gates
- Salon.com– "Spiritual Chapter 11"
- New York Times, "Books of The Times; Inspecting the Ruins Of a Contemporary Life", A review of Jernigan, May 24, 1991
- Salon.com - "Breaking Up With the Beats"