David Glass (sociologist)
|David V. Glass|
David Victor Glass, c. 1970s
2 January 1911|
|Died||23 September 1978(aged 67)|
|Institutions||London School of Economics|
R. R. Kuczynski
David Victor Glass FRS, FBA (2 January 1911 – 23 September 1978) was an eminent English sociologist and was one of the few sociologists elected to the Royal Society. He is also one of the very few people to be elected both Fellow of the British Academy and Fellow of the Royal Society. He was professor of sociology at the London School of Economics, 1948–1978.
In 1935 he was a research assistant with Lancelot Hogben in the department of Social Biology at the LSE. At this time he came into contact with R. R. Kuczynski. After Hogben's departure and the closing of the department in 1937, he was heavily involved in founding the Population Investigation Committee (PIC).
- Chairman, Population Investigation Committee
- President, British Society for Population Studies
- Honorary President, International Union for Scientific Study of Population
- Member, International Statistical Institute
- FBA, 1964
- FRS, 1971
- Foreign Honorary Member, American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 1971
- Foreign Associate, National Academy of Sciences (USA), 1973
- The Town in a Changing World, 1935
- The Struggle for Population, 1936
- Population Policies and Movements in Europe, 1940
- (ed) Introduction to Malthus, 1953
- (ed) Social Mobility in Britain, 1954
- (with Eugene Grebenik) The Trend and Pattern of Fertility in Great Britain, 1954
- (ed) The University Teaching of Social Sciences: Demography, 1957
- Latin American Seminar on Population: Report, 1958
- Society: Approaches and Problems for Study, 1962 (co-ed)
- Differential Fertility, Ability and Educational Objectives, 1962
- (ed jtly), Population in History, 1965
- (ed jtly) Population and Social Change, 1972
- Numbering the People, 1973
- (with P. Taylor) Population and Emigration, 1976
- Wise, M. J. (1983). "David Victor Glass. 2 January 1912-23 September 1978". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. 29: 201. doi:10.1098/rsbm.1983.0009. JSTOR 769802.
- Hobcraft, J. N. (1978). "David Victor Glass (1911-1978)". Population Index. 44 (4): 621–629. JSTOR 2735158.
- Obituary, Jewish Chronicle, Oct. 6 1978, p. 32
- E. Grebnik (2004). "Glass, David Victor (1911–1978)". The Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/31149.