|Principal Deputy Director of National Intelligence|
November 10, 2009 – February 11, 2011
|Preceded by||Donald Kerr|
|Succeeded by||Stephanie O'Sullivan|
|Acting Director of National Intelligence|
May 28, 2010 – August 5, 2010
|Preceded by||Dennis C. Blair|
|Succeeded by||James Clapper|
David Charles Gompert
October 6, 1945
|Education||United States Naval Academy (BS)|
Princeton University (MPA)
David Charles Gompert (born October 6, 1945) is an American government official and former diplomat who served as the acting Director of National Intelligence (DNI) following the resignation of Dennis C. Blair in 2009. Prior to his ascension as DNI, he was Principal Deputy Director of National Intelligence and continued serving in that capacity until 2011.
In between government and academic tenures, Gompert has worked in the private sector. He has worked in senior executive positions at Unisys, AT&T, and most recently as a senior fellow at RAND, a leading research organization that explores topics such as national security, terrorism, economic development, and science and technology. Before that, he was a distinguished research professor at the National Defense University's Center for Technology and National Security Policy.
From 1975 to 1983, he held numerous positions at the U.S. Department of State, serving as deputy to the Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs, deputy director of the Bureau of Political-Military Affairs, and special assistant to former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger. Following these capacities in the Ford, Carter, and Reagan administrations, he was appointed Special Assistant to President George H. W. Bush.
Gompert received a bachelor's degree in engineering from the U.S. Naval Academy, where he once served on the faculty, and a Master of Public Affairs from Princeton University's Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs.
- Date information sourced from Library of Congress Authorities data, via corresponding WorldCat Identities linked authority file (LAF).
- "David C. Gompert | RAND". www.rand.org. Retrieved 2017-05-29.
- Group, Bristow. "David C. Gompert - bristowgroup.com". Bristow Group. Retrieved 2017-05-29.
- "David Gompert". www.ou.edu. Retrieved 2017-05-29.
- "An interview with David Gompert, distinguished adjunct professor and former principal deputy director of national intelligence". VCU Across the Spectrum. Retrieved 2017-05-29.
- "Official Biography". Archived from the original on December 7, 2009. Retrieved November 11, 2009.
- Press Release on United States Senate Confirmation
- Clean, Lean, and Able: A Strategy for Defense Development By David C. Gompert, Olga Oliker, and Anga Timilsina, The RAND Corporation, January 2004.
- Occupying Iraq: A History of the Coalition Provisional Authority[permanent dead link] The RAND Corporation, 2009. By James Dobbins, Seth G. Jones, Benjamin Runkle, Sidd harth Mohandas.