David Goodhart, November 2015
September 12, 1956 |
|Education||B.A. York University|
|Occupation||journalist and editor|
|Known for||founder of Prospect magazine|
|Parent(s)||Valerie Forbes Winant Goodhart
Sir Philip Goodhart
|Family||Mayer Lehman (great great-grandfather)|
Education and career
Goodhart was a correspondent for the Financial Times for 12 years; for part of the period he was stationed in Germany. He founded Prospect, a British current affairs magazine in 1995 and was the editor until 2010, when he became editor-at-large. In December, 2011, he was appointed Director of the London-based think tank Demos As of 2017 he is Head of the Demography, Immigration and Integration Unit at the think tank Policy Exchange.
Goodhart has produced several radio documentaries for the BBC on subjects ranging from the rise of Blue Labour to mass immigration. He has frequently written for The Guardian, The Independent and The Times. In April, 2013, he published the book The British Dream: Successes and Failures of Post-war Immigration, in which he argues that high immigration can undermine national solidarity and be a threat to social democratic ideals about a welfare state. He advocates that immigration to the United Kingdom should be reduced and more emphasis put on integrating immigrants. In August 2014, Goodhart was one of 200 public figures who were signatories to a letter to The Guardian opposing Scottish independence in the run-up to September's referendum on that issue.
David Goodhart is one of seven children born to Valerie Forbes Winant, the niece of John Gilbert Winant, and former MP Sir Philip Goodhart; and great great grandson of Mayer Lehman, co-founder of Lehman Brothers. He is married to Financial Times journalist Lucy Kellaway; they have four children and separated in 2015.
- The British Dream: Successes and Failures of Post-war Immigration (2013). Atlantic Books. ISBN 9781843548058
- The Road to Somewhere: The Populist Revolt and the Future of Politics (2017). C. Hurst & Co. ISBN 9781849047999
- "Birthdays". The Guardian. Guardian News & Media. 12 Sep 2014. p. 47.
- "The Judges - Samuel Johnson Prize". 20 October 2012.
- David Goodhart ideasfestival.co.uk (Bristol Festival of Ideas), retrieved 1 April 2013
- "Prospect eyes 50,000 sales as Goodhart moves on". Press Gazette. Retrieved 7 September 2010.
- Ben Dowell: David Goodhart to step down as Prospect editor The Guardian, 7 June 2010
- Demos, Press release: David Goodhart joins Demos as Director demos.co.uk (homesite), retrieved 1 April 2013
- Policy Exchange. Policy Exchange https://policyexchange.org.uk/author/david-goodhart/. Retrieved 6 June 2017. Missing or empty
- "Transforming Britain by accident?". BBC News. 8 February 2010.
- Immigration: why the public is right London Evening Standard, 28 March 2013
- David Goodhart: Why the left is wrong about immigration The Guardian, 27 March 2013
- "Celebrities' open letter to Scotland – full text and list of signatories | Politics". theguardian.com. 2014-08-07. Retrieved 2014-08-26.
- "Sir Philip Goodhart, politician - obituary". Telegraph.co.uk. 6 July 2015.
- Daily Telegraph: "Valerie Forbes Winant died peacefully on April 1st aged 88" retrieved 30 September 2015
- "Lucy Kellaway". Financial Times. Retrieved 7 September 2010.
- Lucy Kellaway (October 25, 2015). "Divorce can galvanise a career as well as ruin it". Financial Times. (Subscription required (. ))
|This article about a British journalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|