David H. Turpin
|David Howard Turpin
CM, PhD, FRSC
|13th President of the University of Alberta|
1 July 2015
|Preceded by||Indira Samarasekera|
14 July 1956 |
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada
|Alma mater||University of British Columbia|
|Profession||Academic, professor, plant biologist, author|
David Howard Turpin, CM, FRSC (born 14 July 1956) is a Canadian scholar and the 13th president and vice-chancellor of the University of Alberta. He was the sixth president and vice-chancellor of the University of Victoria, a university in Victoria, British Columbia, from 2000 to 2013. This five-year appointment was renewed in 2004 and 2009.
Turpin is a noted Canadian plant biologist and is the author or co-author of over 100 papers and reviews on the topic of plant photosynthesis, respiration and nitrogen assimilation. In 2010, he was appointed a Member of the Order of Canada.
President of the University of Alberta
Turpin succeeded Indira Samarasekera, who saw the university through a period of strong growth. By 2014, the U of A faced a number of challenges including "funding issues, academic transformation and global competition for students and faculty."
- BSc Cell Biology, University of British Columbia, 1977
- PhD Botany/Oceanography, University of British Columbia, 1980
Employment and Experience
- July 2015 President and Vice-Chancellor, University of Alberta
- 2000–2013 President and Vice-Chancellor, University of Victoria
- 1995–2000 Vice-Principal (Academic), Queen's University
- 1993–1995 Dean, Faculty of Arts and Science, Queen's University
- 1991–1993 Professor and Head, Department of Botany, University of British Columbia
- 1990–1991 Professor, Department of Biology, Queen's University
- 1985–1990 Associate Professor, Department of Biology, Queen's University
- 1981–1985 Assistant Professor, Department of Biology, Queen's University
- 1980–1981 Vice-President, Sigma Resource Consultants, Vancouver, B.C.
- 1980 Research Associate, Simon Fraser University.
- Governor General announces 74 new appointments to the Order of Canada
- "University of Alberta elects David Turpin as new president". Globe and Mail. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
David F. Strong
|President of the University of Victoria
|This biography of a Canadian academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|